Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to fishfairy Send a message via AIM to fishfairy Send a message via MSN to fishfairy Send a message via Yahoo to fishfairy
Upgrading my tank!

I found someone on a local forum who is selling a used 55g tank for 50 bucks. It is just the tank, no stand or hood or anything so I will still have to buy that stuff seperately but the price is great even for just the tank. It was once used as a breeder growout tank but he no longer needs it. Right now we are in the middle of working out the details for me to pick it up. This will be replacing my current 20g (not adding too; I don't have the room lol). Hopefully over the next couple of months I can collect all the other necessary equipment. I'm checking places like Craigslist to find a used stand, etc. I'm so excited!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
If you're comfortable with power tools, and don't mind trying to do a DIY stand you can end up with great results (as good as in the store) for a lot less money. I wouldn't imagine building a stand for a 55g costing more than $50-60.

Congrats on your pickup

Old 07-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to fishfairy Send a message via AIM to fishfairy Send a message via MSN to fishfairy Send a message via Yahoo to fishfairy
That is one option I have considered, however neither my husband no I have ever really built anything from scratch so I don't know how well we'd do lol.

Do you think something like this would be sturdy enough to hold a 20g on the bottom? I know it is designed to hold a 55g up top and two 10g's on the bottom. If it could hold a 20 maybe I could keep both of my tanks.

http://www.petco.com/shop/product.as...cm_ite=5895993
Old 07-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would have to say yes it would be sturdy enough to hold it since it is metal and all but I dunno about the dimensions of your 20g. that is the only thing I'd check out first.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
Do you have a 20g Tall or Long?

The long might fit, but the tall looks like it would hit the bottom of the other tank. That's just judging by the picture with the tanks in it.

I'd just go to the store and measure the stand to see if the tank will fit.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
src
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another concern is that a taller tank (than the 10's) will be VERY diffcult to access for cleaning, rearranging or maintenance.

I've been looking for a 2 tank stand myself (QT and maybe a breeder or grow-out tank). When I was a kid, we had one that was offset - the bottom tank was about 6-10" forward of the top tank. I would love to find something like that again.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unfortunately my 20 gallon is a tall so it may not work. I am going to measure it anyway to make sure. If I have to switch out the tanks it's not that big a deal because that was my original plan anyway. I can always put the 20 in storage until I have more room.

Tags
tan, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com