Upgrading to canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squall

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning to upgrade one of my HOB filters in my 60 gallon tank to a canister filter. I have an AC70 and a Marineland Penguin 350 in there right now.

- What canister filter is best for a 60 gallon tank?
- Which HOB filter do you think should I stay with to go along with the new canister?
- What type of media should I put in the canister filter?

All help will be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

I would say keep your old HOB on because it is already cycled. If you want to switch I would recommend the aqua clear ones.

As for canister filters everyone here loves the fluval brand. I don't have the money for one or I would go with that! :)

As for media it depends on what is in your tank. I would go with a filter pad for mechanical filtration and then something like fluvals biomax for BB to live on. If you need chemical filtration you can add some activated charcoal as well. Mix and match to your desired setup and I have to put in that experience will be your guide. I'll leave it to the experts to refute me and give you better advice!

Yes I would probably have the canister running with the 2 HOBs for a while until it grows the BB in there. How long do you think I should have it running in there before I remove one of the HOB?

I have a Rena XP3 on my 75 gallon and LOVE IT! I just took all the filter media, including the biowheel, from the HOB filter I was upgrading from, stuffed it into the more than generous space allowed with the Rena and voila, instant cycle.

I have a Rena XP3 on my 75 gallon and LOVE IT! I just took all the filter media, including the biowheel, from the HOB filter I was upgrading from, stuffed it into the more than generous space allowed with the Rena and voila, instant cycle.

How did you put the biowheel? Did you break it apart and flattened it or something like that? Can you please describe how does the Rena media compartment look like?

No, the biowheel didn't need to be crushed flat. The stackable baskets that come with the Rena look like this when you're done: http://www.planetrena.com/images/XP3-drawing.gif

You can fit tons of biomedia in there. If you purchase the filter, they provide you with some bio media and sponges. There's still room to toss more of your own seeded media in.

From the drawing, I'm counting 6 compartments, is that correct?

So can I put my 2 biowheels from the penguin 350 (I'm inclined on leaving the AC70 for the 2nd filter) and all 4 of my cartridges in there without breaking them apart?

I can't say whether the cartridges will fit but the biowheels probably will. It's 3 compartments. I'm at work so can't look but I don't think it's 6 (I think you're looking at the dotted line as another compartment). They're all pretty deep.

I can't say whether the cartridges will fit but the biowheels probably will. It's 3 compartments. I'm at work so can't look but I don't think it's 6 (I think you're looking at the dotted line as another compartment). They're all pretty deep.

Assuming I could fit the media cartridges from the penguin 350 (or probably I could break it down and just take the blue spongy thing), what are the chances I won't have a mini-cycle?

What will be the disadvantage if I have the canister running with the HOBs for a while before removing the Penguin 350?

There's no disadvantage to having the canister running alongside the HOB. I'm not a biologist, but I'm left wondering if you'd be more likely to have a mini-cycle when you do end up removing the HOB, providing it's not a year afterwards as the two filters would now both be housing bb.

If I were you, I'd take the blue stuff off the cartridges and stuff that into one of the stackable compartments and just go for broke. I wouldn't want to have a canister, PLUS an HOB or two.

I do know that my biowheel fits into a compartment alongside the biomedia that they provided with the filter. As I said, it's pretty roomy.

I stuffed everything into the canister, removed the HOB, filled the new tank with the same stock I had in the old tank, and my water params never even hiccuped.

Thanks for the suggestions LyndaB! I am currently looking at the Rena XP3 and comparing it with Fluval 405/406.

Which do you guys think is better? I've been hearing a lot of good reviews on the Fluvals.

Back
Top Bottom