Urgent. Leaving for 2-3 days.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am going back to Long Island for Thanksgiving late tonight, and most likely will not return to my apartment until Sunday. My cycle completed today, and I dosed ammonia back in so I am good until tonight, and I'll dose again to be covered for Thursday. What am I going to do for ammonia when I am not around? In my other thread, putting a raw shrimp in was recommended. If this is the only way, I'll do it. What are some other ways to make sure that my 4 week cycle doesn't become completely useless? What an inconvenient time for my cycle to finish, haha. Between leaving my frog for three days and leaving my empty tank un-dosed, I'm stressin out!

Thats the only way I can see, the only humane way anyways. It would be awesome if they could produce some sort of time releasing ammonia capsule or something for situations like these ;)

Thats the only way I can see, the only humane way anyways. It would be awesome if they could produce some sort of time releasing ammonia capsule or something for situations like these ;)

Haha, that'd be great. Ugh. Time to go to the seafood counter and act like an idiot.

Ask for any spoiled shrimp they may have. You're just going to let it rot anyways and you may be able to get it cheaper or free.

the only thing about using shrimp is it takes it a few days to rot and start dumping ammonia. Noone hanging around your place you trust to put a few drops in for you while you're gone?

I agree with neil; you will be back before there is any meaningful amount of ammonia is produced by the bacteria that will consume the shrimp.

Yeah I was thinking about that actually (the amount of time it'd take to produce ammonia). A girl I went to high school with lives around the street, but she may not be around at all.

Could my cycle seriously revert if I don't dose from Thursday-Saturday?(I'd dose again on Sunday).

As for the fish and a feeder, the only place near my apartment is Petland Discounts. No way in **** I am buying fish from them, who knows what kinds of diseases they will put into my water? I don't have time to get fish from a reputable place, since the place I go to is out in Flushing.

I wonder if you could just dose to like 10-20ppm of ammonia and maybe it'll last until you get back?

--Adeeb

That'll fry the cycle.

Really only good thing you can do is get some fish. Get some nice looking feeder fish.

Alright, I guess I'll have to go buy some tonight before I leave then. What about feeding them? Do you think they'll produce much waste if they aren't being fed?

Dose 5-6ppm right when you leave, then dose it again right when you get back. 48-72 hours they should be okay. It's pushing it, but I think they'll make it.

Dose 5-6ppm right when you leave, then dose it again right when you get back. 48-72 hours they should be okay. It's pushing it, but I think they'll make it.

"Pushing it" and "think" doesn't make me feel too good. :lol:

well you're kinda out of options, right? Worst case scenario, you just have to recycle the tank - not what you want to hear, i know, but it could be worse.

I do think you'll be okay, but never went more than 48 hours on my tank.

I think I am just going to drive back on Friday, dose, then come back again Sunday. Sounds silly, but no way in **** I am going to recycle the tank!

Get one of those time release feeding deals. Im not sure if they work well or not..but let me know... lol.. im going on vacation for a week in a month and i'll need to know if so.

Crap, I just thought of something that would have been cool now that you bring up the auto feeder thing. I have an auto feeder at home...I could have filled up the thing with ammonia, and have it release ammonia every 24 hours. ****IT!

BINGGGOOOO. Girl down the street is going to be around tomorrow night and on. She said she'd be more than happy to do it; I'll leave her detailed instructions. Phewwwww. All settled then. Fish and plants next Friday :-D.

Back
Top Bottom