Using old substrate & decor to cycle new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Subaru4wd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In preperation of my new 88gallon tank, i have been saving some of my wastewater from the last 10% change. And last week I moved the 36gallon to a new room and placed the 88gallon in my living room. That day I did a Substrate change in the 36, and took some decoration out.

I placed all the wastewater and substrate i could into the rubbermaid container holding a ton of wastewater. Along with some old pads and filter material I removed about 2 weeks ago when I did my filter change.

I am wondering if this water will be feasable to use to start a fishless cycle? I plan on starting the cycle next week, and I guestimate I have about 15-20gal of water and about 40lbs of substrate sitting in this rubbermaid container.
Its been in my garage for about 2 weeks and am not sure if its gone stagnant. There is no aeration, and it was getting down to the low 50's at night, so the water has been nowhere near the 70-80 degree's i had hoped for.

I was planning on running a few tests on the water before I started the cycle to see where i start, but im wondering if the cold weather and niglect would let the nitrobacter die off?

The water will not help at all, in theory the bacteria on the gravel is pretty much done since it has been two weeks without food. I would imagine that it will still be of some use to get things going though. Some good squeezes of an dirty filter pad can really get a new filter seeded.

About a week ago I did add a few good helpings of flake food to the sitting water, but have been so busy setting up my 88 that I have just let things in the garage sit.

I suppose I could just rob material from my 36gal to help. I just want to get fish in this 88 before the end of this month.

put some guppies in the water to keep the bacteria alive

Back
Top Bottom