using purigen in Aqueon HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thought I might try out Purigen. I have an Aqueon QuietFlow HOB filter. If I wanted to use Purigen: Do I use it WITH my charcoal/floss "insert" or instead of? My floss is still OK (I've been rinsing it) but the charcoal is probably spent. If I somehow fasten the bag of Purigen to the backside of the floss/charcoal cartridge, would that work, or would the water just flow "around" it, since the bag is smaller than the cartridge? If I wanted to use it in place of charcoal, how do I get it to stay in there where the water will be "pushed" through it properly?

I use purigen on my 90 gallon. In the canister filter the water is able to go around it, but my water is crystal clear. I wouldn't worry about trying to get water to be forced through it. Just put it where the charcoal was, and it will do the job. You really don't need to use charcoal if your using purigen.

The nice thing with purigen is you can "recharge" it. There are directions and videos online that walk you through that process. Normally takes a day or two. I have multiple bags of purigen, so I can swap them out.

I'm not familiar with the Aqueon filters, but, on my Aquaclears, I replaced the carbon with the Purigen and put the Purigen "pillow" on top of the sponge. Some water flows around it, but it still does a great job keeping my water crystal clear.

Thanks! I ordered some online. Can't make it to the LFS today (it's a 30 minute drive) and PetSmart doesn't carry it, and looked at me like an alien when I asked them if they did.

Purigen is awesome! My water stays clear constantly, even if the substrate itself is quite dirty.

Back
Top Bottom