using sand as substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benji-star

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have talked about wanting a small planted tank i have gathered many of the pieces for this but i want to use sand as my substrate (really i have already bought it from lfs) cost was not to bad due to the fact that i only needed five pounds of it so the question is how do you put this stuff into your tank it floats and does all sorts of crazy stuff and how do you rinse it to put it into the tank.
help

First, get a 5 gal bucket and dump in the sand. Then get a hose and put it into the bucket and let it fill up with the water running over the side. Run your hand around in the sand to pull up any debris. Let this run for a while until your water comes out clean. When that is done, drain the water and cup it into the tank. You may experience floating sand, this is very easily solved. When it floats to the top, take a net (not a brine shrimp net) and net the sand. It will break apart in the net and will sink to the bottom. It may take a couple hours for it to completly settle. This is the only way that I've been able to keep it from floating.

how fine is the sand? if its' extremely fine then you will need to break up the lumps that will form... If it's estes brand, then you will definately need to do this.

After rinsing, i'd put the sand in the empty tank first, then put a bowl/plate ont he sand, and fill the tank by pouring the water onto the bowl...this keeps you from stirring the sand up into a huge dust cloud.

ok i have my sand in the tank and it looks great.

now what plants to add. it is only a five gallon so nothing to big

i thought i read something about a snail that likes sand that is not so bad for a planted tank

or am i way off base

I have sand in one of my betta tanks. There is also a snail in there...it doesnt seem to mind and has grown twice as fast as the snails in my big community tank.

I think your are thinking of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They are burrowers. I don't have any myself yet but am looking into getting some as treats for my future khuli loaches which also love to burrow. Apparently they really don't eat plants & only come out at night to scavenge & I suppose eat algae. They help keep your substrate aerated.

What kind of lights do you have because that will determine whether you want low or high light plants. Probably you have low light unless you have upgraded your hood. Check out some of the low light plant packages you can buy online. They will give you a good idea of what kind of low light plants you can grow. I am low light & have crypts (maybe too big for your tank) and a red melon sword and anacharis and soon some dwarf sag. & some java fern.

I think your are thinking of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They are burrowers. I don't have any myself yet but am looking into getting some as treats for my future khuli loaches which also love to burrow. Apparently they really don't eat plants & only come out at night to scavenge & I suppose eat algae. They help keep your substrate aerated.

What kind of lights do you have because that will determine whether you want low or high light plants. Probably you have low light unless you have upgraded your hood. Check out some of the low light plant packages you can buy online. They will give you a good idea of what kind of low light plants you can grow. I am low light & have crypts (maybe too big for your tank) and a red melon sword and anacharis and soon some dwarf sag. & some java fern.

Back
Top Bottom