UV steralizer should i get one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon tank with 6 discus 5 catfish 12 neons and a dojo loach in it I'm considering buying a submersible uv sterilizer from my lfs it costs $101 is that a good price and do you think It would benefit my tank?

UV Sterilizer

I have a 55 gallon tank with 6 discus 5 catfish 12 neons and a dojo loach in it I'm considering buying a submersible uv sterilizer from my lfs it costs $101 is that a good price and do you think It would benefit my tank?

Hello J...

I'm curious as to why you feel you need a UV sterilizer. If your plan is to use it to kill potential parasites floating in the tank water, then there are other ways to make sure the parasites don't infect your fish.

Again, just curious. I've kept tanks for years and never used one of these things or needed to, I guess.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello J...

I'm curious as to why you feel you need a UV sterilizer. If your plan is to use it to kill potential parasites floating in the tank water, then there are other ways to make sure the parasites don't infect your fish.

Again, just curious. I've kept tanks for years and never used one of these things or needed to, I guess.

B

Hey what's up bbrad. I don't really know why I feel I should get one I just like trying to make it as optimal as possible for the fish. I guess I just want it to kill any potentially harmful organisms that might get In my water. The idea popped into my head when I was talking to a local guy that has raised discus for years and he uses one. Thanks for replying.

I've never used one but I think it would be good for sensitive fish.

If you have the money sure go for it! An added bonus I heard of is that it keeps your water CRYSTAL clear.

As to whether it is a good price at $100... Depends, there are many different models on the market from inexpensive to massively expensive, chances are you can find a better model online for less money. How many watts is it? What is the flow rate? Low wattage UV sterilizers are only good for killing free floating algae and will have zero effect on parasites and such. Anything lower than ~15 watts at a flow rate of ~75 gph will have no effect on parasites and even that is a big maybe.

What brand were you looking at? Watts? I just bought one from petco and it was around $75 I think. And petsmart had one for $71. The green machine...I think, lol. 24 watts which is pretty good.

UV Sterilizer

Do u think it would just be a waste of money to get it?

Hello again J...

I definitely think it's a waste of money if you're not sure you need it. Parasites live in all our tanks and on the bodies of our fish too. They exist in a dormant state for up to years waiting for us to slack off on our tank maintenance duties. When we do something to our fish that weakens the immune system, parasites can infect our fish.

However, if we are diligent doing our water changes and don't handle our fish carelessly, then they stay strong and healthy and the chances of an infection by a parasite is remote.

I'd invest in improving the filtration system or in better lighting. There are a number of better uses for the money.

B

Okay got some good info going now thanks guys I'm going to check at the store and report back with the brand wattage and flow rate of the unit then u can let me know if that is powerful enough I want it to kill parasites and basically everything that gets in my water so I need a strong one. On another note does anyone agree with bbrad and think its just a waste of money?

Well its not necessary. So I guess if you have extra money you could get one.

I don't have a lot of money but when I do spend its on my fish and if their is any added benefit i will gladly spend what it takes to keep my little finned friends happy plus discus are expensive so anything to keep them healthy is well worth it in my mind it's like protecting my investment and my little buddy's

Jesselav1233 said:
On another note does anyone agree with bbrad and think its just a waste of money?
Yup. Just keep up with proper maintenance.

If you want a uv, aqua ultraviolet makes one of the best, there alittle pricey but are high quality. I have a 25 watt on my 90 gal tank. It helps keep the water clear, control parasites and bacteria also algae. It doesn't mean you neglect your other maintenance water changes etc. its just another tool to help keep the fish healthy and happy. If you can afford it buy it it certainly wouldn't hurt.

tonedogz said:
If you want a uv, aqua ultraviolet makes one of the best, there alittle pricey but are high quality. I have a 25 watt on my 90 gal tank. It helps keep the water clear, control parasites and bacteria also algae. It doesn't mean you neglect your other maintenance water changes etc. its just another tool to help keep the fish healthy and happy. If you can afford it buy it it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Okay thanks I won't neglect my ritual of 50% water changes 2x a week but I'm leaning towards getting one i just want to make sure I don't underspend and get one that isn't going to be adequate for what I want I have a 55 gallon what watts and flow rate should be my minimum?

Jesselav1233 said:
I have a 55 gallon what watts and flow rate should be my minimum?
15 watts (minimum) at 55-75 gph. More flow than that and you need more watts.

If your interested in the aqua ultraviolet you can email their customer service and they will give you the correct size and flow rates thats what I did they get back pretty quick.

Okay this was exactly the info I was looking for thank you everybody for replying its greatly appreciated my wallet will thank u ad well lol

Back
Top Bottom