Vacation for a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ciph3ro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I have a 29 gal tall with a Fluval C3, planted with pretty much 90% stocking. I'm going away for a month to visit family in Europe.

I've left the tank for 2 weeks before and just left in that gel food that lasts two weeks. Many of my fish and shrimp eat algae as they are algae cleaners.

I'm wondering what I can do to keep water in better condition over the month that I'm gone. I have a spare Aquaclear 50 I could also put on there, I also have a Fluval 305, but it used to be in saltwater so I'm not sure if it's safe.

Any ideas about feeding? I guess I could reduce stocking. I also have an automatic feeder but doesn't seem to work reliably. I will try again with a fresh battery.

Any tips and tricks you guys can give me to make sure my tank is alive by the time I come back?

I'm going to have a home automation camera and a cutoff switch that I can see/control on my phone just in case.

Thanks. Have an awesome day!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Photos attached. I'm thinking of taking any fish out off the 8 gallon tank beside my main one. They are just minnows that cost 61¢ each.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396455597910.jpg
    1396455597910.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 1396455611405.jpg
    1396455611405.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 1396455680808.jpg
    1396455680808.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 90
I get a neighbor to come to my house daily to feed them and check temperature etc daily when I'm away. They can't do PWC of course so do a large one or a couple of large ones in the week before you leave. Will be ok for 4 weeks. My first 18 months with fish I only ever did a PWC every 4 weeks. Did 50% and all was fine. I do it weekly now but was fine before done every 4 weeks. I guess it depends on how heavily you are stocked but if you're not over stocked should be fine.

When I go away and my neighbour, who does not keep fish, comes in to feed mine I set out little containers of food, one per day, with a little less than I would normally feed them. Over feeding would be your biggest problem.

I agree with the above posts. I think the best thing is to just have someone come check on the fish every few days. If your fish need to be fed dry food, use the little weekly pill containers so you can be sure your caretaker does not over feed. If they cannot do water changes you will probably only want them to feed the fish 2 or 3 times a week though. With minimal feeding and a nice big water change before you go, they should be fine:) especially with all those plants to use up nitrates.

Being planted will help a lot. Do a couple extra large water changes as mentioned before you leave. Set out portioned feedings, enough food for one feeding in ziploc bags or whatever. Have some one come in once or twice a week and drop the pre portioned food in. Then just go away and enjoy your vacation.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom