Vampire Tetras (Hydrolycus scomberoides)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Daniel and I were in a small lfs...not a chain store...we always walk the full fish section no matter where we are or if we already know what we are looking for. We were in the aggressive fish section when we saw these two fish with SHARP teeth! They were only about 2.5". To my amazement, they were called Vampire Tetras. I knew nothing about this "tetra" so when I got home, I started researching. To my surprise these fish can get up to 3 feet! And the teeth! Why would any lfs sell this fish and not put the maximum size? Amazing! I am attaching 2 links...one when the fish is a youth, the next full grown:

http://www.petfrd.com/profiles/showphoto.php?photo=48

http://www.thejump.net/id/payara.htm

Are all Characidaes tetras? I've always assumed tetras would only be certain genus, not including the pirahna, pacu etc. I can't find a solid definition of "tetra" anywhere.

8O 8O 8O note to self....never EVER EVER EVER swim in the waters of SA!

*nods*

Yep Scott; those vampire tetras, neons and pirahnas are all related. Go figure eh? Diff families, but same order (characins). Theres more about the vampires on fishbase for those interested: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=6419&genusname=Hydrolycus&speciesname=scomberoides (you'll notice, under importance it lists PUBLIC aquariums, not home aquaria...)

Now I have to admit, a school of those puppies would be pretty neat. In a 1,000g tank. One I wouldn't have to gravel vac LOL

Just a tidbit of information for the curious:

From Exotic Tropical Fishes by Dr. William T. Innes:

In those earlier days of the exotic fish hobby, a number of Characins were included in the genus Tetragonopterus, a generic name still used for a small genus, but under which many of our aquarium fishes used to be placed. It became the trade practice to apply "Tet" or "Tetra" as a blanket name to all Characins, especially the small ones, such as "Tet from Rio", "Lemon Tetra", "Black Tetra", "Neon Tetra"; also the "Silver Tetra", which is not small. The name "Tetra" has become well entrenched in popular usage, but has no present scientific standing.

Fruitbat said:
Just a tidbit of information for the curious:

From Exotic Tropical Fishes by Dr. William T. Innes:

In those earlier days of the exotic fish hobby, a number of Characins were included in the genus Tetragonopterus, a generic name still used for a small genus, but under which many of our aquarium fishes used to be placed. It became the trade practice to apply "Tet" or "Tetra" as a blanket name to all Characins, especially the small ones, such as "Tet from Rio", "Lemon Tetra", "Black Tetra", "Neon Tetra"; also the "Silver Tetra", which is not small. The name "Tetra" has become well entrenched in popular usage, but has no present scientific standing.

Perfect! That's the answer I was looking for, thank you Fruitbat. So this Vampire Tetra probably shouldn't be called a Tetra by trade standards, if not by scientific standards?

No...the 'Vampire Tetra' , Hydrolycus scomberoides has no more business being called a 'Tetra' than does an African Tiger Fish, Hydrocynus sp., even though both are Characins.

By the way...the African Tiger Fish makes the 'Vampire Tetra' look like a child's play toy! Check this out!

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=8682

(Note: you'll probably have to cut and paste the link above for it to work because of the ID being recognized as an abbreviation by our Forum software.)

Keep in mind that Hydrocynus goliath reaches a length of 1.33 meters (about 4 1/2 feet) and a weight of 50 kg (110 pounds) or more.

Now THAT is a fish I wouldn't want to go swimming with in murky water!! 8O 8O

Is it the find scarey fish images before bedtime hour show? 8O

I am gonna have nightmares!
It is already a late night with these poor loachies..

And these things are in shallower water unlike scarey stuff like lantern fish :eek:

I have also seen some aggressive tetras. The white spot tetra, very cute, very aggressive. The buck-tooth tetra, or exodontis. Surprised me at first too. Haven't seen this one though, cute in a creepy sort of way....

Exodon paradoxus is a rather interesting tetra in that it is a serious scale and fin eater. I've seen a lot more of them lately in my local fish stores and they seem to sell like hotcakes! I just hope the people who are buying them don't think they're community fish!! 8O

Back
Top Bottom