Want to get a show case baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking to get a beautiful show case fish but dont know what to get my tank is a 55g and is lightly stocked and any fish I get will be around the same here is what I have now

10 neon tetras
6 bleeding heart tetras
4 jade head guppies
1 fancy guppy... Will not add anymore guppies not that happy with them
2 powder blue gouramis

I am planning to add 6 rummy nose tetras but my lfs was out

My ph is steady 8.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
Ammonia .02

Do they do well by themselves or do they need a companion

Either way. Make sure you have 2 females per 1 dude though. You can also check out these...Kribensis Cichlid, Cockatoo Cichlid (Apistogramma), Keyhole Cichlid, Blushing Balloon Ram

Now aren't those all pretty aggressive, so the do good with non aggressive fish

Thanks I looked some of them up I really like the cockatoo cichlids but if there is more love to hear about them

jasurf21 said:
Either way. Make sure you have 2 females per 1 dude though. You can also check out these...Kribensis Cichlid, Cockatoo Cichlid (Apistogramma), Keyhole Cichlid, Blushing Balloon Ram

Unless they are paired up couples.

They basically take the deformed Bolivian, or German rams, and breed them so they're off spring get that fat deformity. They have a hard time swimming, usually don't live as long, and have are more exposed to disease. Balloon mollies go through this too.

Thanks I looked some of them up I really like the cockatoo cichlids but if there is more love to hear about them

Those all depend what you can find around at LFS's. There are many variations on the Apistogramma's (Double Red, Triple Red, Blue Panda,etc). Kribensis cichlids come in a lot of variations too, so it really depends what you can find around you.

I have yet to find a really colorful triple red cockatoo cichlid around me :mad:

Also, the Rams are very sensitive fish and often expensive. I have had about 4-5 different ones, I once had a very aggressive male. Sometimes you get a bad one out of the bunch.

The Kribensis I have had has been very hardy and very mellow. He is really fun to watch.

My lfs has a pink looking cockatoo that I think would go well in my tank because I have lots of colors

Homedog98 said:
They basically take the deformed Bolivian, or German rams, and breed them so they're off spring get that fat deformity. They have a hard time swimming, usually don't live as long, and have are more exposed to disease. Balloon mollies go through this too.

That really stinks

Those all depend what you can find around at LFS's. There are many variations on the Apistogramma's (Double Red, Triple Red, Blue Panda,etc). Kribensis cichlids come in a lot of variations too, so it really depends what you can find around you.

I have yet to find a really colorful triple red cockatoo cichlid around me :mad:

Also, the Rams are very sensitive fish and often expensive. I have had about 4-5 different ones, I once had a very aggressive male. Sometimes you get a bad one out of the bunch.

The Kribensis I have had has been very hardy and very mellow. He is really fun to watch.

Double red and triple red are selectively bred variants of certain species. Cacatuoides and agassizi have double and triple red variants. Panda apisto generally refers to A. panduro. There are many, many species of Apistogramma and some are easier to keep than others. Cacatuoides is a good species to start with. Our Apistos seem to do best in pairs rather than trios, although almost everything you read says to keep trios. LOL.

Bolivian rams are also a great introduction to keeping dwarf cichlids. They are generally much easier to keep than blue rams.

Kribs would work too. All these cichlids are compatible with your stock list, and all can be kept singly if you do not want to deal with pairs.

How large do most of these get will they be larger than anything that I have now

Maybe I just had bad luck with mine, but the kribs I had were very aggressive. Even when not spawning they constantly attacked the BN pleco (the only fish in the tank at the time) to the point that I gave them away.

But that could have just been poor luck, either way, G'luck!

Back
Top Bottom