waste control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a marketing gimmick IMO. I don't think you can buy anything that will control waste. Fish poo and leftover food will always be there. This stuff may break it down some, but it won't eliminate it. A water change is the best waste control IMO.

This is a description of one type of "waste control" from the DrsFosterandSmith site:
Waste Control Organic Waste Eliminator
Waste Control breaks down organic pollution in the aquarium, making it soluble. It works on decaying matter, sludge on decorations and accessories, slime on glass, protein film on the surface of water, fish wastes, plant leaf remnants, and more. You'll see a healthier aquarium in just a few days. 8oz treats 470 gallons.
While dosing your aquarium with this product, ammonia levels may peak, so use a product to control ammonia and nitrites in conjunction with this product. Do not freeze. Use 1 capful per 10 gallons of aquarium water in new setups. For established aquariums, use 2 capfuls per 10 gallons, then 1 capful per 10 gallons every day for 7 days. For fresh or saltwater.

It doesn't have an ingredients list....

That's crazy. It's saying, essentially, "instead of the natural occurrances in your tank, add a chemical that will cause toxic ammonia and nitrites, so make sure to also add more chemicals to control those." Um...yeah. Where can I buy mine?

If you are looking for some form of waste control, chemicals is now the way. I dare say that the protein skimmers that the saltwater guys use, may actaully help a little bit. The only way to actaully take care of the problem is PWCs though

i went to the store and bought some... Didnt even think. got home and read the bottle and from the sounds of it it could kill the bacteria and start a mini cycle. I was like screw this. when i can just do a water change. so thats what i do. I do waterchange/gravel vaccum

Jarred Darque said:
If you are looking for some form of waste control, chemicals is now the way. I dare say that the protein skimmers that the saltwater guys use, may actaully help a little bit. The only way to actaully take care of the problem is PWCs though

I'm not really looking... the PWCs and gravel vac seems to do the job. I just had never heard of it until recently and then saw a number of online adds for it so I thought I'd ask.

Guess I'll pass though.

I think that it is nonsense. A good old PWC once a week never did me wrong!

I agree nothing replaces good old fashion water change. You wouldn't just add chemicals to a litter box and say "Gee now its clean".

Mike469 said:
I think that it is nonsense. A good old PWC once a week never did me wrong!

I hope you didn't think I said that they don't work... I said they work just fine for me. I had no idea this stuff was even supposed replace PWCs... that seems a little crazy.

I justassumed that it might not be that different from other water clarifiers etc (which I have yet to use).... just curious because I didn;t even know there was such a thing... but then I still don't know what 90% of the stuff out there is. :)

I bought this yellow gloopy stuff that says you dont have to do a water change for up to 6 months if you keep adding it each week!!
I used it once or twice but then decided i feel better if i change the water instead.

voo said:
I bought this yellow gloopy stuff that says you dont have to do a water change for up to 6 months if you keep adding it each week!!
I used it once or twice but then decided i feel better if i change the water instead.

So if you used this stuff in your bathtub and never drained the water i assume you would still want to take a bath in it after 6 months?

i dont use it anymore? like i said i only used it once or twice to see if it'd work

Back
Top Bottom