Water Change with Large Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKLB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 200l / 55 gallon Juwel Lido that's pretty difficult to perform a water change on. The volume of the tank isn't that much of a problem, it's more that it stands at around 1.45 m tall. I currently use a syphon and a bucket, which is fine for emptying the tank but the height means it's virtually impossible for me to lift a bucket of clean water so it's higher than the aquarium to refill it with my syphon. Instead I have to use a little jug to transport the water from my main bucket to the aquarium, which can take over 30 minutes which, other than being an inconvenience, probably isn't great for my biological filtration as I turn my filter off during this time.

Are there any easier ways to perform a water change on such a large/tall aquarium? I've heard good things about the Python No Spill Clean And Fill Automatic Water Changer, but it's fairly expensive so I was wondering if there are any other cheaper methods.

Thank you :)

Python is definitely worth the money. I have it and love it. It is always better to buy something once that is more expensive, than to buy another brand twice because it does not last or perform as expected.

You can buy a powerful powerhead/pump for $10-20 and place it in the bucket. On the outlet of the overhead, attach one end of a thick tube (like the ones that come with canister filters) and put the other end into the tank and that way you can turn on the pump and it pumps the water from the bucket into the tank

Lack of water circulation won't affect your filter too much! (When it's off)
Exposure to air is a greater threat but even then it's not that much of a concern IF THE TANK IS WELL ESTABLSHED.

I still handball water but when I get too old, a pump is what I would use!

90% of the time I leave the filter running but it depends on the setup and the volume of water concerned. Or I get the filter back on after servicing, then top up in my own time. Bucket above and syphon down into tank. While that happens I can work on another system!

Have used plastic storage tote, can add more than one bucket, wanted to use a plastic trash tote with wheels (idea from someone's post), but couldn't easily get it up stairs.

Have used plastic storage tote, can add more than one bucket, wanted to use a plastic trash tote with wheels (idea from someone's post), but couldn't easily get it up stairs.

Lol. I tried this too! I've been looking at water storage totes online and they are crazy $$$. The frame and wheels need for all the water weight isn't cheap.

I use a pond pump from HD to pump the water from the bucket into the tank.

What's HD? I like the idea of using a pump, I'll look into it. How powerful do you think it'll need to be to lift it 1.45m high? Thanks for all your replies so far everyone!

Home Depot..
Doesn't have to be super powerful the weaker ones should have enough power. I didn't want mine to stir the substrate any, it's not real strong intentionally.

Home Depot..
Doesn't have to be super powerful the weaker ones should have enough power. I didn't want mine to stir the substrate any, it's not real strong intentionally.

That's it! Don't even think about stirring up my sand...[emoji58]

I have not confirmed this but ....

I read somewhere not long ago that some bed/matress stores carry an item that looks virtually identical the the faucet adapter on the Python. Only it's blue. And it's for filling waterbeds. And supposedly it is far cheaper. Just have to add a hose.

Back
Top Bottom