water going green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carly_w

Aquarium Advice Newbie
pls could someone give me avice as the water keeps going green in my tank. i have a fluval roma 240 aquarium. i changed nearly all the water last fri due to water going green and i also cleaned the stones and the glass and the water went green and it hasnt been a week yet. :(:(:confused:

Sounds a bit like suspended algae in the water column but not100% I know there are products which can bind this up in to a siphon/vac size piks might help but I'm not 100% great on this issue but someone will be

Cloudy water isn't a bad thing in a new tank. That's probably a bacteria bloom. You'll want to build up beneficial bacteria in your tank so the fish don't die of ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

The green in your tank suggests an algae bloom which could be caused by having your aquarium light on too long. Plants require around 8-12 hours of light in the tank; I leave mine on around 10 hours. If you don't have plants, you'll want to leave your aquarium light on less.

Hopefully you don't have any fish in your tank yet? It sounds like a new set up. You'll want to read the following link to get you started.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

I have had it since Xmas and I've got 5 fish in it we've been doing 40% water change

Attachments

• image-1129035075.jpg
    image-1129035075.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 91
Is there sunlight directly hitting your tank? And how long do you keep your tank light on?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

There is no sun on the tank and I have the light on most of the day

Back
Top Bottom