Water Temp Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r_nichols7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:(Back again... realy need help. I cant do anything to get my water temp down. It is between 78.5-80.5... My room temp is between 74 and 76 and the water temp increases respectfully (4 deg higher than room temp). All I have is the c360 filter and small air stone. 50-55 gal, 8 cichlids,2 common plecos and a Bumble bee cat all under 2 inches (juvies),pfs substrate, no plants, some rocks. I recently had major brown sediment probably from overfeeding or diatoms??? I use RO water for pwc @10-20%. I now have green algae build-up. I ran my diotomagic filter and it pulled out flourecent green muck?? Water is still cloudy... What can I do?? Is it normal for a canaster filter to increase water temp by 4 deg.?? will 80 deg. harm fish?

The temp is fine for your fish. I really think you are worrying over nothing. Heat would not cause algae, that would come from light and excess nutrients.

Could the water discolouration be coming from the rocks? Or even gravel?
We had a similar problem when we put in driftwood. We did soak it beforehand but it still released it's colour. Had to take it back out and it's been soaking for a month now!!

The temp is fine for your fish. I really think you are worrying over nothing. Heat would not cause algae, that would come from light and excess nutrients.
Your probably right... excess nutrients from overfeeding?? My light is a deep blue solar max h.o. and only use the white lamp durring the day @12hrs and it has blue LEDs at night... Where in LI... I'm originally from Patchogue/Medford/Brentwood/Merrick and Coram. Moved around a bit and worked in the tri state area.

Could the water discolouration be coming from the rocks? Or even gravel?
We had a similar problem when we put in driftwood. We did soak it beforehand but it still released it's colour. Had to take it back out and it's been soaking for a month now!!
Pulled Driftwood out a week ago and an orange slate type rock. I boiled the rock but noticed an orange hue running from it constantley so we discarded it.

Your probably right... excess nutrients from overfeeding?? My light is a deep blue solar max h.o. and only use the white lamp durring the day @12hrs and it has blue LEDs at night... Where in LI... I'm originally from Patchogue/Medford/Brentwood/Merrick and Coram. Moved around a bit and worked in the tri state area.

Cut the light to eight hours, and cut back on all that food. Fish do not need a lot of food. I am originally from Franklin Square, now in Port Washington.

r_nichols7 said:
Pulled Driftwood out a week ago and an orange slate type rock. I boiled the rock but noticed an orange hue running from it constantley so we discarded it.

I don't believe the coloration harms the fish. Its quite natural.
I want to put the wood back in the tank now but giving it a little while longer just incase.

The color is from tannic acid in the wood. It does not hurt the fish, many fish thrive in it. That is where the term black water, the waters deep in the Amazon comes from.

rich311k said:
The color is from tannic acid in the wood. It does not hurt the fish, many fish thrive in it. That is where the term black water, the waters deep in the Amazon comes from.

Couldn't remember for the life of me what it was called!!

Back
Top Bottom