Water Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dadandr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had heard from this forum that the test strips could be inaccurate. So I bought a Freshwater Master Kit for my 4 week old tank. I had been testing the ammonia with the drop type two bottle test and had finally saw my ammonia levels drop to almost 0 PPM but my nitrites were between 5-10 and my pH was at 6.4 (minimum on the strip). Despite constant water changes and the use of Amquel+, I could not get these to change much. I put some crushed coral in a bag in the filter, partly cause of the low pH and the low buffering reading on the strips, but did not see any increase in either.
When I tested with the new Master kit, I found the ammonium at 0 PPM, the nitrites at slightly less than 0.25 PPM and the nitrates at 10. I also found I had a pH of 7.0 on the nose. I was amazed at the difference between the two kits and tested each again to verify. By these numbers, my tank has almost cycled on a fish cycle.
Does anyone else have experience with the strips being this far off? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Amquel Plus is not a good dechlorinator to cycle with. It binds ammonia. How long ago did you add the crushed coral? When you say that you tested with the type two bottle test for ammonia, you used both bottles correct? Not just the second one?

Fishyfanatic said:
Amquel Plus is not a good dechlorinator to cycle with. It binds ammonia. How long ago did you add the crushed coral? When you say that you tested with the type two bottle test for ammonia, you used both bottles correct? Not just the second one?
I made the same mistake regarding AmQuel Plus. According to the bottle, it also removes nitrites and nitrates. I've since switched to StressCoat.

Prime is a great dechlorinator and is cheap when considering how long a bottle will last you. It is concentrated so you only us 1 ml per 10 gal of water.

I use Stress Coat as a dechlorinator but use the Amquel Plus for ammonia and nitrites.

And yes, I use both bottles for ammonia per instructions.

I have never had a problem reading the ammonia as I have been using the bottles which is the same brand as the Master kit all along. I was just amazed the difference in the strip test on pH, nitrites, and nitrates as compared to the Master kit. They were WAY off per my first post. It also makes me wonder about the buffering test and the hardness test on the strip as well.

I put the crushed coral in the filter approximately 10 days ago, about 3 tablespoons. But I now wonder if I should just take it out and see what happens to the pH by measuring daily with the Master kit.

I don't think 3 tablespoons of crushed coral will do a whole lot. You'd need a bit more than that to make a noticable difference.

I'd leave it in there. After 10 days you probably already started having the effects. I'd get a test for hardness and check it to be sure.

Yes, test strips are usually way off. I used them at first, but then switched to the Master Test Kit. But if in a bind, you can use the strips to see if the ammonia, nitrite, etc is present. You just may not tell exactly how much. I do have test strips just in case I have an accident or run out of the liquid, til I can get another kit ordered.

I had originally put the crushed coral in because I thought the pH was 6.4 by the test strips. However, since it is now 7.0 by the Master kit, I do not know whether to take it out or not. It has only been in for 10 days. I am also still showing 6.4 by the strips, so I think I have probably been at 7.0 all along and the 3 tablespoons has not really done much. I need to find another test kit for measuring the buffering and the hardness since I do not trust the strips.

Also, if I went by the strips, I would still be showing between 5 and 10 nitrites, and my Master kit ran 0.25 again. I believe I am almost at the end of the fish cycle. The water is clear and the fish are active and playful with each other.

I have 5 guppies, one algae eater, and 2 axelrods.

I have also quit using the amquel since the nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia are all in pretty good shape. I just am waiting for the nitrites to drop from 0.25 to 0. I have been doing 2 partial (15-20%) water changes a week since I thought my nitrites were higher by the test strips.

My tank is at about 5 weeks now and the ammonia is at 0 PPM but the nitrites have remained at the same level of 0.25 PPM for almost a week and a half. The nitrates are at 10 PPM. It is a fish cycle and the pH is at 7.0. I am no longer using amquel+, only the stress coat on a weekly 15-20% water change. I still have a little bit of salt in the tank from when the nitrites were higher. How long is normal before the nitrites drop off to 0 PPM? The fish are all in good shape and are playful.

Could be a couple weeks. Nitrites bacteria seem to take just a little longer to grow than the bacteria for the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom