wedding sand as substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shay1012

Aquarium Advice Regular
Pretty much what the title asks. I'm planning on getting my God children a 10gallon and they want colorful as kids normally do. I considered gravel but I know sand is easier to clean. Has any one ever used the sand they use at wedding ceremonies for substrate?

I've never heard of it but offhandedly I would say probably not.

There are plenty of colored aquarium sands out there that you could use.

Most craft sand is dyed and should not be used in an aquarium.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Aquarium Advice mobile app

what is wedding sand?

Different color sand you pour into a box during your wedding. You take it home and put it on a shelf. Got married in Panama City last October. I have some "wedding" sand in a box on a shelf.

Like others suggested. Colorful rocks aren't that hard to clean if you have a siphon. Might be a pain if you have plants and other decorations in there.

I couldn't find any real particulars on it during a quick search, but IMO there's other alternatives that are a far better choice, designed for aquarium use. Also, I wouldn't agree sand is easier to clean than gravel as it's much lighter and if using a python system you have a better chance at sucking it all up whereas the gravel is heavier and will fall back down. Devils advocate, sand will keep detritus to the top layer whereas gravel it falls in the nooks and crannies. Just my thoughts.

Aquarium sand doesn't have silicates, while most others do, and silicates are food for brown algae. Aside from the other concerns about toxicity ...

When it comes to substrates, unless you're very experienced, it's really a good idea to buy something meant for this purpose.

Sand meant for aquariums can be great, it's also messy in some ways. They all have pluses and minuses. My fave is gravel that is so fine it almost looks like sand but isn't quite. Like 1mm grains.

I don't like the idea of detritus falling far between cracks, it's harder to keep water parameters stable.

Back
Top Bottom