Weird ph readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansei

Aquarium Advice Activist
First its an est. tank (125 gal ) with ammo 0 (API)nitrite 0 nitrates 20(nutrafin) , weekly 30% water change with gravel vac ( python) Gh 20 (1+1 drop) kh >20( 1 drop chage to yellow) with a nutrafin hardness test . When I check my ph with API test I get 6.4 when I test with nutrafin test I get 5.5 , my tap water tests 6.8 , 5.5 respectively . All tests are liquid regent . I bought the nutrafin test as it was wide range and I wanted to make sure the API was not just bottoming on the range (6.0 ) . All tests are ok by the date on packaging , anyone ever have this happen.

Wow. It is rather common for water as soft as yours to have a pH below 7, but I have no explanation for why the kits differ by so much. I find the reading of 5.5 to be a little hard to beleive.

I do to , as I think it would be close to being acidic enough to erode at things . I just don't understand such a differance between two kits . The nutifin kit says it wide range 4.5 to 9 and the API kit only reads 6 to 7.6 .

Back
Top Bottom