Well A pleco clean the bottom of my tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about getting a huge Pleco to help with keeping the bottom of my tank clean. Would this really work , and would he be ok with a Oscar.

Nope plecos eat alage, not poop. They'll keep the side of the glass clean but not the gravel, in fact the produce huge amounts of waste

My shitzu terrier (lol) ate his own poop. I have been scarred since. Lol maybe that's why I like fish hehehe

But yeah, I would say continue cleaning your gravel. Your Oscar will appreciate you!

My shitzu terrier (lol) ate his own poop. I have been scarred since. Lol maybe that's why I like fish hehehe

But yeah, I would say continue cleaning your gravel. Your Oscar will appreciate you!

Our dogs have eaten there own puke. And vomit. Arent oscars supposed to be like dogs? Why isnt it eating its own poop?!

I have a turtle how eats his on poop, but he is too good to eat any other poop. (way grosser typing then thinking it ). I had a Chinese Algae eater... however he is missing. I have no clue what happen to him. But he would eat some of the stuff on the bottom. I hope he is just hiding .

I have a turtle how eats his on poop, but he is too good to eat any other poop. (way grosser typing then thinking it ). I had a Chinese Algae eater... however he is missing. I have no clue what happen to him. But he would eat some of the stuff on the bottom. I hope he is just hiding .

I have seen a green sea turtle poop here in hawaii, some tourist was swimming by it. But I didn't want to yell "Get away from the turtle poop!" and embarrass them. Lol

Someone once told me some great advice. If a fish or anything in your tank eat the poop, its gonna then poop that poop out plus whatever else is in the tank (extra food) and make an even greater mess. I know its a pain, but sometimes the gravel vac is the only way.

Yes, there's a thing that eat poop, it's called Heterotrophic bacterias.

You can find them in the product "Nutrafin Waste Control". It work well, but can create huge ammonia spike if you don't know what you're doing.

The best way to remove fish poop is by vaccuming it.

I don't know any shrimp or fish that eat poop. Do you eat poop ?

If you want to use Nutrafin Waste Control, use it in combination of bacterias (Nutrafin Cycle) or similar product. It removes excess nutrients, and poop from the substrate.

It convert poop into ammonia, then autotrophics bacterias convert it to nitrites and finally to nitrates. You have to change water for removing nitrates.

So on the final, you need to do a water change to remove any poop/nitrates excess, so IMO vaccuming gravel while changing water is the most cost efficient method.

Life would be too great if some fish will convert poop into food and other fish convert food to poop. FOOD-->POOP-->FOOD-->POOP-->FOOD-->POOP-->FOOD-->POOP-->FOOD-->POOP-->FOOD-->POOP-->FOOD-->POOP-->[...]

Everybody, please stay on topic. Thanks. :)
I agree with what has been said. Plecos will not just eat the poop. Oscars are messy fish, and it is in your fish's best interest to just vacuum the gravel. Darker substrates help it not look as dirty as quickly.

Back
Top Bottom