What are geophagus like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The camaro show

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know they like groups but how peaceful are they compared to festivums and uarus and kribs are their any types you guys recommend

Please stop trying to add fish to your tank without sorting out your current stocking first. It's great trying to plan ahead but a lot of your fish DESPERATELY need re-homing before you add anything else. By the looks of what you've been commenting on other people's posts, you've learned nothing at all about your "fantastic" LFS in Pittsburgh either, & you're wondering why no one is commenting on your threads. A lot of people tried to help you & to a certain extent it is your choice whether or not to listen to them, but think about the cruelty you're subjecting your fish to if you don't.
Sorry to sound harsh.

Please stop trying to add fish to your tank without sorting out your current stocking first. It's great trying to plan ahead but a lot of your fish DESPERATELY need re-homing before you add anything else. By the looks of what you've been commenting on other people's posts, you've learned nothing at all about your "fantastic" LFS in Pittsburgh either, & you're wondering why no one is commenting on your threads. A lot of people tried to help you & to a certain extent it is your choice whether or not to listen to them, but think about the cruelty you're subjecting your fish to if you don't.
Sorry to sound harsh.
[emoji106] very kindly said!

Most geophagus species can hit 5-6" and some can hit much larger. Add to that they like to be in schools, I wouldn't reccomend them for your tank.
IMO they look really nice in a black water biotope tank with sand, driftwood and leaf litter. I've always wanted to setup a tank for them with a nice large school of corydoras and some sweet plecos. Maybe one day! But yeah I'd pass unless your setting up a new tank for them. You already have a bunch of fish in your tank and a couple 5-6" geos would definitely overstock it.

Thank you toolman :)

Camaro I used to be just like you. I thought I knew everything when I first joined this forum & woooooow how wrong I was. Check out some of my early threads, especially the goldfish one, that one makes me cringe so bad (Jamie don't you dare look). I was so rude! People were trying to help me & I thought I knew best, so what was the point in asking them? I woke up, realised I don't know everything & sorted out my tanks. I know so much more now than I did then & being rude & ignoring people didn't help me, so why be those things?

You know, no one on this forum has financial gain by helping you, we genuinely want to help because we care about our & other people's fish. If you're continuing to be like this then people will stop commenting, they will ignore you & people will probably deem you as a troll.

The only reason I even commented on this is because I care about your poor fish! It would be cruel to add more fish, you're too overstocked.

Answer me this: what is your current stocking as of right now?

I have 2 very large AAA quality angel fish,1 uaru,1 festvium that I've had for 4 years now a 1.5 inch keyhole, I had a pair of kribs that breed had have 8 fry rn, I have 2 roseline sharks that are almost 7 inches each 2 Cory cats 2 clown loaches 3 boseman rainbow fish and a black ghost knife that's about 3 inches and a 5 inch albino bristlenose pleco in a 90 gallon show tank.

I have had this tank running for 5 years now and I also have a 800 gallon koi pond outside that we have had for 19 years

How bigs the uaru and festivum? I'd add more loaches and cories. And more boesmanis and denisons but thatd probably overstock the tank. They do so much better with friends! Definitely wouldn't add geos. A tank with a lot of different species imo can look like a jumbled mess.

Do you have pics of your angels? No clue what a AAA angel means...but I'm assuming it means they're high quality? I have a P. Leopoldi whose been through hell and back with me. Honestly though P. altums are the real champs, man what I'd do to have a huge tank with a school of them.

Most geophagus species can hit 5-6" and some can hit much larger. Add to that they like to be in schools, I wouldn't reccomend them for your tank.
IMO they look really nice in a black water biotope tank with sand, driftwood and leaf litter. I've always wanted to setup a tank for them with a nice large school of corydoras and some sweet plecos. Maybe one day! But yeah I'd pass unless your setting up a new tank for them. You already have a bunch of fish in your tank and a couple 5-6" geos would definitely overstock it.

Nice post.

For the OP, do you need further information.

Thank you all, The uaru and festvium are both close to 5 inches I've had the festvium for 3 years now and yes it means they are very high quality and more sensitive but beautiful

Pics

Here's some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 61
Great looking fish! Why add more and risk a disease or something nasty.
I have 7 fish in my 40 breeder sw tank that have been together for a year and I'm always contemplating adding another but sometimes that last fish will just throw everything off or bring in something nasty and cause a loss of one of the old fish. I'd be devastated to lose any of those fish. I feel like that applies here.

You have a point there but I buy from a great store and have never had any major problems I've had a few cases of ich over the years and all went smoothly that's the only thing I've had in 6 years and both were small cases just raise the temp and do water changes.

You have a point there but I buy from a great store and have never had any major problems I've had a few cases of ich over the years and all went smoothly that's the only thing I've had in 6 years and both were small cases just raise the temp and do water changes.
Aside from the falsely titled pleco that cost over a hundred dollars and died a few days into the tank;)

Back
Top Bottom