What bactrial additives is the best ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently using additives that is made by big Al's,
It is ok but I think there is better and i don't know which one.

What is it that you want the additive to do? Boost gowth to shorten cycling?

Well I do weekly %40 water change and I know I have to add additives but not sure which one to go with plus my Bactria additives expired

Read few post and prime seems to be number 1 for conditioner. But what about bacterial additives?

I'm currently using big Al's products and it seems like my sad as a hard surface on the top and it's turning black.

I do vacuumed and remove it but it will come back again

Eheim 113
Inline heater
Led
35 gallon
------------

Blood parrot
angel fish
Berta fish
2 koi sword tail

I know my tank is small for the fished but they are all babies and end of this year looking to get a house and will be building my own tank at least 150gal

Well I do weekly %40 water change and I know I have to add additives but not sure which one to go with plus my Bactria additives expired

Read few post and prime seems to be number 1 for conditioner. But what about bacterial additives?

I'm currently using big Al's products and it seems like my sad as a hard surface on the top and it's turning black.

How old is this tank? Has it fully cycled? What are the water peramitors? Ammonia,Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph.
If the tank is fully cycled you shouldnt have to add bacteria only a water conditioner. I myself use Prime. IMO Prime is the best out there right now.
I have fully cycled tanks with out useing bottled bacteria at all.

Tetra Safe Start and Dr. Tim's One and Only are the only ones that have worked for me. Seachem Stability has also worked, but not like the other two. Nutrafin Cycle is not worth the plastic bottle it is sold in.

These bacteria in a bottle should only be considered as aides in the cycling process, nothing more. And none of them will instantly cycle a tank, not one! Once the cycle is complete, if you practice good husbandry skills you don't need to continue to add bacteria.

David

It will be two years in may and yes its cycled for a week and I’m still using biological additive thinking i still need it
with the weekly water changes, do you think i should stop?
and i don’t see anything wrong with the fishes or anything i feed them twice a day dividing the amount of food.

i feed them
pallets (New Life Spectrum if i feed them twice a day and Omega One if feed once a day)
flakes (Omega one)
krills
blood worms
pemysis
veg
I also use a uv sterilizer, it made the water really clear and the color on the fishes too. I didn't think i would need to check the water parameters since
its a freshwater, do you think i should need to check it still?.

I wish i knew about cycling water without using biological additive before and i would have done it and the pet store people don’t tell you these things.
Oh well I’m planning on making a 150 gallon minimum L shape, with a refugium.

Since i've been using it. Do I do a %50 water change?.

Oh man it was a stupid pet store I used to go to before told me to use it with water changes.

Now im gonna stop but I don't know if there's anything else I need to do.

:s

The bacterial additive will not hurt anything; it's just not needed on a regular basis. Just use it when you do major cleanings with filter maintenance. Even then, you don't need it.

Pet shops and manufacturers will tell you to use it with each water change. That advice generates revenue.

No need to do another water change to get rid of it.

David

Well thanks guys!

I'm so pissed of at the mall pet stores, they push things at you, that you don't need.

It will be two years in may and yes its cycled for a week and I’m still using biological additive thinking i still need it
with the weekly water changes, do you think i should stop?
and i don’t see anything wrong with the fishes or anything i feed them twice a day dividing the amount of food.

i feed them
pallets (New Life Spectrum if i feed them twice a day and Omega One if feed once a day)
flakes (Omega one)
krills
blood worms
pemysis
veg
I also use a uv sterilizer, it made the water really clear and the color on the fishes too. I didn't think i would need to check the water parameters since
its a freshwater, do you think i should need to check it still?.

I wish i knew about cycling water without using biological additive before and i would have done it and the pet store people don’t tell you these things.
Oh well I’m planning on making a 150 gallon minimum L shape, with a refugium.

Yes even with fresh water you should be testing the water. I reccomend getting your own liquid test kit and test it your self. If you cant get one the lfs can test it for you until you can get your own

I did get it tested with lfs but that's like one in three months and they said everything is ok.

In that I'm just going to do it at home and get my own results.

Rite now I don't know how much damage is being done With this additives, can't wait till next clean up.

Back
Top Bottom