what bulb do i need to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turok

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am about to get a new fish tank (Tetra 20 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit with EX20 Filter) it comes with some Incandescent bulbs. But I figured I could buy some Fluorescent bulbs to make the tank look better but I cannot figure out how big the bulb is supposed to be and how many watts its supposed to have.

20 Gallon Fish Tank » Tetra® 20 Gal Starter Kit w/ Filter | PetSmart
(link to tank on petsmart)

I am about to get a new fish tank (Tetra 20 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit with EX20 Filter) it comes with some Incandescent bulbs. But I figured I could buy some Fluorescent bulbs to make the tank look better but I cannot figure out how big the bulb is supposed to be and how many watts its supposed to have.

20 Gallon Fish Tank » Tetra® 20 Gal Starter Kit w/ Filter | PetSmart
(link to tank on petsmart)

The maximum wattage should be stamped somewhere on the light hood near the bulb sockets.

The other thing to consider is physical space -- I had considered doing the same on my 10 gallon, but there was no compact fluorescent bulb that would physically fit in the hood -- though your light hood may well accept them.

Best!

Walmart and most big box LFS have a CFL that will fit in the basic 10g-20g hoods, assuming it takes a normal sized incandescent light.

As mentioned, it depends on the individual fixture as to what bulb shapes you can get into it, some of them work with the regular spiral cfl's, but some may require a narrow U shape'd bulb like these.

Walmart.com: Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct: Fish

Back
Top Bottom