What can I put in this 5GAL tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelLover

Aquarium Advice Freak
My boyfriend got me a 5GAL fluval spec tank for my desk at work. I work six days a week so it will only go one day without maintenance. My first thought was a Betta but am wondering if I could also get away with maybe a small group of raspora or guppies? The tank is long so it actually provides some decent swimming space. It will be heated and the filtration actually seems pretty good. Lighting is 7500k and is rated for aquatic plants, I may try moss and anubias.

If I could find some cherry shrimp maybe I could do them + Betta? Or a school of small fish plus the shrimp? I have never done shrimp before, not really even sure what their diet is.

ForumRunner_20121223_123750.jpg
This is the tank, obviously I will not be cramming 3 angels in there LOL

You could try a school of galaxy rasboras and a dario dario! Mabye some shrimp ! Idk may be overstocked!

The Dario Dario look so cool! I have never seen them before maybe I could get my lfs to order some. Do they prefer larger groups?

Well from my reasherch the males get .8 inches and females .5! So if they are harem breeders, 1 m and 2 f would work, if not a pair! At my lfs in MN they have many, but I've heard they are actually rare! So anyways, will you bee planting this? If you are and a cave or so, here's what I would do
2 dario dario
6 harqualin rasboras
Possibablly 4 Pygmy Cory's
No this may be way overstocking, but its an idea!!

Well from my reasherch the males get .8 inches and females .5! So if they are harem breeders, 1 m and 2 f would work, if not a pair! At my lfs in MN they have many, but I've heard they are actually rare! So anyways, will you bee planting this? If you are and a cave or so, here's what I would do
2 dario dario
6 harqualin rasboras

I would like to try some low light plants and maybe put it in a few tiny pieces of driftwood. I really like your idea, now I just need to track the fish down!

2 dario dario
6 harqualin rasboras

Sorry, but your overstocked. I'd go with a planted shrimp tank. They aren't too demanding and low tech plants would work. Mosses, java fern ect.

Sorry, but your overstocked. I'd go with a planted shrimp tank. They aren't too demanding and low tech plants would work. Mosses, java fern ect.

Shucks! do you know if marimo moss balls require good lighting? If I do shrimp first, then add a betta later would that be too much?

The shrimp would most likely be food to the aggressive Beta. But it's all experimental. You may have the nicest beta in the world. Never know for sure until you try. Good luck!:)

I think you could do a sparkling gourami or a pair of Scarlet Badis with a small number of Red Cherry Shrimp. I've seen many tanks like Borderlesscott's 10g with 6 Scarlet Badis and RCS and it looks really nice.

There are a number of smaller schooling fish that would be ok in small tanks as well. Danio erythromycin, Celestial Pearl Danios, ember tetras, etc.

Thank you all for your advice I will keep everything in mind when I start stocking!

As others have said, your Betta would probably eat any small shrimp you put in there. If it were me I'd do 1 male Dario Dario and 3 females along with 1 female Sparkling Gourami. Shrimp might do well with this group as well.

Honestly, in my opinion I love the neon tetras and they do great in smaller tanks, and they love to school. You could easily do 5-7 neon tetras with live plants and a shrimp. You could easily setup a beautiful tank even though its just 5 gallons. I love the smaller tanks, and setting them up. Good luck :)

I'm posting a picture of an idea. I'm not sure what you like, but this is what I would want mine to look like.

This tank has a couple small pieces of drift wood, some type of rock, and lots of plants. The neon tetras would ago excellent in here.

Keep in mind this is a planted tank and it will take extra work.

Research "low tech planted tanks." In my opinion, that's your best bet!

Attachments

• image-864158523.jpg
    image-864158523.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 202
Now if you don't like the idea of live plants, and looking for a more colorful tank, I would do a "blue dwarf gourami" tank. 2 would work out, but no more. Ask your LFS for 2 females. 2 males would not workout because of the aggressiveness. Also do not do a "male" "female" tank because the male will become dominant over the female, eventually putting it into stress and dying.

I think a sand substrate looks great if possible and if its not too late. It's extremely cheap to go to your local hardware store and pickup a bag of white sand ($3-7).

Now grab you a piece of drift wood and some nice rock/petrified wood. It will look great with the fish!

Good luck, don't give up.

Keep in mind, this is all MY opinion. Be honest with me, and tell me some ideas and I can work with you. Im Trying to keeps
things budgeted for you.

Happy holidays :)

Attachments

• image-1579265941.jpg
    image-1579265941.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 101
Some of the advice given in this thread I do not agree with.

That being said.... a betta, who may or may not eat rcs, would be great.

Also a school of cpd or ember tetras would be lovely.

Also keep in mind while some fish may be "small" they need plenty of swimming space.

Some crypts, java fern, Anubis, or moss will be good low light choices.

With a shallow tank you may be able to even get some moderate light plants as well

I have had success with a fish/shrimp combo. I had two molly fish in with 4 red cherry shrimp. I had them in a ten which I later learned was too small for mollies but they worked together when they were in the same tank, even the baby shrimp made it. I would try the shrimp/betta combo. Just make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces so no one feels like their personal space is in jeopardy. Good Luck.

I would do 1 betta with a few ghost/cherry shrimp and maybe a snail. That's what I have in my 5.5g right now and everyone is fine. It really depends on the temperament of the betta you get.

Mine gets along with my shrimp and snail perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom