What eats Platties ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim Kipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Started off just under a year ago with 3 platy. 2 Female, 1 Male. Now have at least 23 medium to full size! Many more if you count the the tiny babies that appear once the lights are out.

This is getting silly.

I wondered if a pair of Blue gourami would keep the babies in check. However I don't want anything big enough to eat my Neon Tetras.

Any ideas ?

I'm surprised the angelfish, upsidedown cat and danios that you already have are not helping to keep the population down. Nothing will eat the medium to full size, that won't eat everything else in the tank.

Dunno, but you could try selling them to a LFS. I know the small LFS that I shop alot, relies on customer drop-offs to keep his tanks stocked (not completley, mind you). And he actually pays for some of the fishies.

See if you can find someone to take them, or someone or place to sell them to?

Just a thought, but unless you clear out your tank and get some HUGE oscars or something...I think your going to be stuck with them.

Good luck.

Gee, my platy and my swordtail are always pregnant, it seems, but I've never seen a fry! I find it frustrating, but then I hear your story and I think maybe none is better!

I agree with devilishturtles. I took my overstocked guppy tank and sold about $47 worth of fish (in store credit). Call around and see if anyone will take them

You will never see a platy or a swordtail egg in your tank.
The eggs hatch on their way out. Thats why guppies, platies, swordtails and mollies are called livebearers.

Nicky

nick_schembri said:
The eggs hatch on their way out. Thats why guppies, platies, swordtails and mollies are called livebearers.

Nicky

Oh. :oops: Learn something new every day! Never seen a fry, though. Don't even want to go there.

The eggs hatch in the oviduct and the fry are born live. The fish are never techincally pregnant.

Try these:

1. If you know anyone else that own aquarium, ask if they'll adopt one or two of your fish.

2. If you know someone who doesnt own an aquarium yet, talk to him / her into starting an aquarium and tells what good experience he / she can get. Then offer some of your fish / platy for free (or cheaply)

3. Post flyers around your neighbourhood about free / cheap / buy 2 get 1 free fish / fry something like that

4. Bring your fishes to any LFS, tell them you'd like to sell OR exchange the fish with some other kind of fish.

I went to one of the LFS that told me they wont take any fish (since they have their own supplier yada yada yada), and say I wanted to exchange them. They let me do it. I get 2 red and 1 sunset platies in exchange of 6 blue platies :wink:

I currently have Endler's livebearers and am so overrun in 2 tanks with them that I put some fry into my 55 community, which has an adult angel, a dwarf gourami and serpae tetras, all of which gladly snapped up molly fry in the past. This was a month ago and now I have maturing Endler's in the 55, all unscathed. Go figure. I am going to get some rainbows for this tank and they generally prefer live food, so this might be an option for you, if you have room - some get rather large.

Just to clarify, it's only the tiny babies I want to see the end of. Will let the medium size and above live their lives out.

I have considered taking to a LFS. Not interested in getting any money. Big concern though is every time I go to a LFS I hear or see some idiot buying 35 fish for his brand new tank.

Maybe I have not found the right LFS yet.

Maybe I'll look for a local enthusiasts club. Aquarium enthusiasts that is, not Oscar enthusiast.

Definitely see if you can find a local club - it is a wonderful resource. There is likely someone who needs feeder fish, or otherwise would be interested in them.

I read this week that a female Platty can produce 40-50 babies every 4-6 weeks.

I guess many are eaten but shear weight of numbers gets a few through each month.

Oh yes - the parents don't eat near enough to impact the population explosion that is sure to occur. It is the "curse" of the livebearer keeper.

I'm pleased to say that I have found a LFS that took my platies. I gave them at least 36 fish. Didn't take any mooney - just glad to have them gone. LFS is a good one so I'm hopeful they will go to good homes.

Now have my tank back again and can start planning my re-stocking.

Back
Top Bottom