What else should I put in my tank till I get a NEW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsPeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to put my 2 Oranda (both a tad under 2 inches) in a new tank, the problem is that I am strapped for cash right now and started a SW tank before taking care of my two babies. Long story short, on the suggestion of a fellow member, I am going to be placing them in a large rubbermaid container so they can breath/move around be happier (yes I said happy) fish.

What should I do about filteration? Lighting it taken care of, but I'm lost for what I should do for filteration.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

How large is the tank they are in now? What type of filtration are you using?

For filtration in a Rubbermaid container, I would go with two large sponge filters to help with bio, and keep using whatever you currently have if possible. Be aware that moving the fish into the Rubbermaid might be good for the fish so they can move around, but could be dangerous if they loose the good bacteria in the tank they currently have.

If you're looking for the least expensive option, I'd go with a filter that gives you 10 X turnover per hour. If your rubbermaid container is 20 - 30 gal, you could go with the Emperor 280 for about $35. This should also provide sufficient aeration. Of course, you could add an airstone too if you want.

Many koi keepers move their fingerlings and expensive specemins indoors for 2-3 chilly winter months. With smaller animals they use rubbermaid tubs, livestock tubs lined with pond plastic and the like, the big ones they use larger watering tubs and kiddie pools. A good areating filter or something to areate with a filter and keeping the water cool is usually the deal. Most keep the fish in basements and garages....

Run the filter in their established mini-tank for a while. And/or remove its wee bit of media and put it in a pantyhose bag in the tub as well as all the water form that tank..maybe like 3rd day from tank change. And the mondo filter QT suggested would prolly serve you better than sponge in their case because their messy tendencies. That way you won't accidently clean the filter too well one day and you can move the filter easier to the new tank. maybe have a sponge on hand to clear up the water from floaty junk like dust adn cat hair..(if you have cats ^_^)sometimes

Many koi keepers move their fingerlings and expensive specemins indoors for 2-3 chilly winter months. With smaller animals they use rubbermaid tubs, livestock tubs lined with pond plastic and the like, the big ones they use larger watering tubs and kiddie pools.
A good areating filter or something to areate along with a filter and keeping the water cool is usually the deal. Mopst keep the fish in basements and garages....

That can but you the 2-3 months to pony bigger tank money up and check the classifieds. :) And your babies can stay home!
Fwee!
Sterelite makes some pretty big clear tibs..I'll post one..
you might want to choose a lighter coloer to make vacuuming simpler

Thanks for the reply. I saw my eye on a 25 gal sterlite at Wally world that I am going to pick up after I leave here today. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom