What fish can I mix in my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igongora

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

I have a 20 gallon aquaruim, and I have 16 fish, (4 goldfish, 2 angels, 2 gupis, 2 barbs,2 zebras - danios, 4 coridoras). I have noticed that the barbs are always chasing goldfish, yesterday morning when I was feeding them I noticed a goldfish couldn't swim. I thought it was sick so I moved it to a 5 gallon aquarium I have... today I looked at this goldfish and I saw it was swimming better. So I guess one of the other fish hit it, cuz it cannot move its tail. It looks like another fish hit so hard. Is it posible that a barb hurt my goldfish? should I keep barbs and zebras with the other fish, or should I move them to another aquarium?

Help please.. I don't want to get any other fish hurt.

I would take the goldfish out they do not belong in a tropical set up they are cold water fish. Two angels will be a bit crowded in a 20 gallon tank. A 29 is perfect for two. What kind of barbs do you have? They are much less aggresive in groups.The other sound fine for you tank. You could take the barbs and goldfish back to your LFS and get some more danios they like to be in groups.

Almost forgot my manners. Welcome to AA!!!!

welcome, I agree with rich, goldfish should be kept in waters of 68 degrees and away from babrbs simnce they fin nip, so should the angels for that matter, but then agian if you provide the right enviorment ytou can prevent fin nipping, I havea betta with 5 tiger barbs and its never been nipped once

tropicfishman said:
but then agian if you provide the right enviorment ytou can prevent fin nipping, I havea betta with 5 tiger barbs and its never been nipped once
Count yourself lucky. Although those are "semi/aggressive" fish, they each have their own personalities. They may be all juvies and when maturity hits, fins will fly.

:multi: :multi: :multi: Welcome to AA, igongora! :multi: :multi: :multi:
igongora said:
I have a 20 gallon aquaruim, and I have 16 fish, (4 goldfish, 2 angels, 2 gupis, 2 barbs,2 zebras - danios, 4 coridoras).
That's too many fish for a 20 gallon tank. Each goldie should be given a minimum of 10 gallons each due to their messy nature and other needs (and they are not tropical). Even with the goldies in another tank, that's too many fish. As the angels mature, they will want territory (again at least 10 gallons each) and can get nasty towards each other and tank mates. Barbs and danios like to be in groups of at least three and many have found barbs keep aggression to themselves if in even larger groups (or they all attack together--there's a fine line to walk with barbs).
You need to decide what you want out of this tank and if you are willing to set up another tank. At this point, your tank could be heading for some hard times.

Hi rich, I have Rosy Barbs, what about gupis.. do they fit there? I have noticed they spent most of the time hidding between the algaes... I have a gupi male and a female, but the male seem to be less active now, would it be because of the barbs and zebras?

Thanks for the advice..

I would drop the goldies and the angels and probably the guppies. You could then get more rosy barbs and danios. Would make a nice active colorful tank.

what if I move the rosy barbs and the danios zebras to another aquarium? can I keep the angel, coridoras, goldies, and gupies? or should I have an aquarium only for goldies? can I have goldies con gupies?

The goldies should be by themselves. If you got a 29 you could do the angels, danios (get a few more) and cories. The angels may eat the guppies when they reach full size. For that matter the goldies may eat the guppies when they get larger. Barbs and angels are not a good mix. The barbs will nip at the angels fins.

Goldfish - very dirty waste producers. Typically not good for them to be with warmer water fish. Seperate the gold fish and then start looking at sizing and compatiability of the other fish you have left.

Fancy golds can get a foot long usually not that big. My angels are about 5+ inches long and 6 or so inches high. They are less than a year old and will grow some more. I have seen angels 8 inches high.

Back
Top Bottom