What "Fish" Like...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King_Corral

Aquarium Advice Regular
...High tanks compared to long tanks? ive got a 55gal hex tank(27x22x22) and want something unique... preferably predator.. will look at anything... i like
dempseys
lobsters
eels

The 55g hex is not a good tank for predators. Predators "typically" need long and wide tanks. In a 55g hex you could possibly do some convicts but definitely not a dempsey.

**** that is a big dissappointment... marbled bichir?(dragon eel) any good? just to check that.. really want something unique if i cant get anything i like ill probably have to go to a reptile.. =(

what website(s) can i buy convicts on? and how many do you think i could fit 'comfortably' in my tank? can i mix convicts i seen black ones also white ones that a no go? help?

how many you think i could put in my tank? a lobster is a no go? it sort of said it could work kind of...

you could do some kind of dwarf crayfish would probably work. A Bichir would not work by the way, the smallest species gets a foot long (Polypterus senegalus), It needs atleast a 75g, maybe a 50g breeder.

whats a breeder tank btw? dwarf crayfish just one? they attack right? but how many convicts you think i could fit?

crayfis dont really attack much... they would much rather scavenge. their claws are mainly for hold large peices of food. i would only be afraid of a crayfish harming a fish if:
it is very large and the fish small
the crayfish is very hungry/underfed
the fish is weak, injured, or sick
the fish is a slow swimmer( such as long fin bettas)
that said, i wont say that crayfish are not dangerous, there is always a risk. but honestly crayfish have very poor eyesight and are not very fast.. they rely much on smell and touch to find things.

You could house a Senegal bichir in there until it was 6-7" but if you do not plan on upgrading the tank it is not suggested. They need a 30g minimum, 55g+ recommended. (standard tank sizes not hex tanks)

Convicts can be bought from any LFS for a couple bucks a piece. Do not waste your money on special ordering them. I would not house anything else with convicts in a tank that size.

whats a breeder tank btw? dwarf crayfish just one? they attack right? but how many convicts you think i could fit?

Breeder tanks are typically wider and shorter. Like my 50g breeders, 48" long x 18" wide x 13" tall.

As for convicts, get 3-4 males and put them in there. If you mix genders it will result in spawning and the dominant male will typically kill everything else including the female. Ask me how I know lol.

Why not sale the aquarium and buy a standard size 55g? That would open your options to predators a lot more.

thats more of a hassle haha but if i have to stay with these ghey little fish im most likely gonna get rid of these somehow and buy some kind of reptile im gonna check out mfk see what they can say...

thats more of a hassle haha but if i have to stay with these ghey little fish im most likely gonna get rid of these somehow and buy some kind of reptile im gonna check out mfk see what they can say...

Same thing I just said ;)

Back
Top Bottom