What fish will go well with a betta in a 25 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Endgame319...

There are a vast number of possibilities here. It might be easier to tell you what NOT to get rather than to make recommendations of what fish you should buy.

You want to avoid fish with a habit of fin-nipping, specifically the barbs, like the popular Tiger Barb (Capoeta tetrazona), puffers of any type, and some of the South American tetras. I once met a fellow who had an absolutely gorgeous Betta that was ripped to shreds by the new, 'harmless' tetras that some dolt at his lfs recommended for his tank. Unknown to him (and the lfs salesperson), the tetras he had were the so-called Buck-toothed Tetra, Exodon paradoxus, a notorious fin- and scale-eating tetra. Needless to say he was NOT thrilled with his choice of tank-mates for his Betta.

If you want to stick with a tank that contains fish from the same general area as your Betta splendens you might consider pretty much any of the commonly available Rasboras, like R. heteromorpha or R. borapetensis. The danios, Danio and Brachydanio (Zebra Danio) will do just fine. I would personally avoid most of the gouramis because I've found that they have a hard time resisting those nice, flowing Betta fins. Especially avoid the so-called Paradise Gourami, Macropodus opercularis because they are very aggressive and will shred your Betta in no time at all. You could add a couple of loaches Botia as a clean-up crew. Avoid Clown Loaches though....they will out-grow the tank eventually.

I also recommend that you avoid cichlids of any type, including the dwarf cichlids. They are aggressive and territorial....too much for a Betta to handle. Guppies, most tetras, killifish hatchetfish, pencilfish and a number of others will make good tank-mates for your Betta as well but you should check your lfs for the types that strike your fancy and then research their habits and behavior before you buy them.

I like white clouds with bettas. Harlequins are one of my favorites, too. Also avoid serpae tetras, as (at least IME) they are very nippy and barb-like in their behavior. Avoid guppies and other labyrinth fish. You could go a school of cory cats for the bottom.

Dito on white clouds. IME they work well with bettas. Cory catfish are a great bottom feeder choice. Khulie loaches would work well in that tank also.Neon tetras are nice.

If you choose white clouds keep the temp in the low 70'sF for best results. They like cooler water than fish like neons.

That is absolutely true about white clouds, and is why I used to have 3 of them in my unheated 3-gal betta tank. Those same three spawned in that tank and I now have the big happy family in my 55, which I keep at 79, with the white clouds being about 2 years old now. I know I should have them in a cooler tank, but until I get more tanks.... shoudn't be long now...

Back
Top Bottom