What have i done :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Em29uk

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've upgraded to a bigger tank, put the filter foam out the old filter into the new filter , used old ornaments etc in the new tank and used all the old water out the old tank, but now one by one my fish and shrimps are dying :( why??? Surely stress couldn't kill them?

Shrimps are really sensitive to ammonia/nitrites. They'll be the first to die. Maybe you're experiencing mini cycle ? Did you tested for ammonia/nitrites ? If you don't want to buy tests, bring aquarium water in a bottle at your LFS, they'll test it for you.

I will go with a 50% WC NOW. Make sure you put water that is same temperature (mix hot and cold water from your tap)

The key is to NEVER rinse filter bio media under tap, it will do ammonia spike and kill inverts/fishs.

Shrimps are really sensitive to ammonia/nitrites. They'll be the first to die. Maybe you're experiencing mini cycle ? Did you tested for ammonia/nitrites ? If you don't want to buy tests, bring aquarium water in a bottle at your LFS, they'll test it for you. I will go with a 50% WC NOW. Make sure you put water that is same temperature (mix hot and cold water from your tap) The key is to NEVER rinse filter bio media under tap, it will do ammonia spike and kill inverts/fishs.

No I didn't rinse anything but I didn't use my old gravel , the water in the new tank has gone slightly cloudy now :(

If it's white cloudy water, I totally agree with this and require 50% emeregency water change.

I might have added too much chemicals to the water is that another reason why they could have died? Also the temp went up to about 32c before they died

What chemical did you added ? 32C° will kill cold water fish like goldfish.

Fish are fragile critters, you need to care about everything and make sure all rules are respected.

Did you rinse out the new tank before adding everything? Did you rinse the new substrate? Why did the temp get so high? Faulty heater? What chemicals did you use?

When you rinsed the filter media, did you rinse it harder than usual?

Back
Top Bottom