What I saw at walmart...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dud

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is aweful... We went there to shop something, with my baby, and figured maybe we could check out the fish they have. I know they're not usually very well kept, but didn't know that I would see something like this. I felt my guts hurt, and was glad that my baby was too small to see the fish. All fins melted away, fungus all over the body, and the fish was still breathing!!!

I rang the service bell at the section, but no one showed up. I feel ashamed that I didn't go to the customer service to talk about it, because I was too shy...(lost the anger momentum...)

I feel sorry to be a human today...Sorry fishy.

:nono:
A letter to Walmart is in order. I know some Walmart employees care, we have one on this board, but clearly others need to be educated.

I'm not saying ever walmart is bad, but I hate to say it, this is par for the course. My walmart here in Troy MI is horrible, I'd never by fish from them. Lots of floaters and sick fish.

Do you think PETA cares about goldfish?

knowing PETA and people who think along those lines (but not everyone) they'd start doing weird crazy stuff... I've heard walmart is very good about responding to customer concerns and always trying to fix policies, but I have no experience. I'd send the letter, with pciture, first and see what happens.

I mentioned this in the gallery comments... but not only should you have talked to customer service you could have said "I will buy this fish for 10 cents" and then put him in a small QT tank so he wouldn't be stuck to the filter for the rest of his short life.

Walmarts not the only one to blame. You see this at a lot of places, especially places that arn't exclusively pet stores. You'd never see a nearly dead dog or cat in a petstore display. So why are many aquatic department allowed to deuterate so badly? poor managment and a 10 cent goldfish is seen mearly as inventory.

Pufferpunk said:
I boycotted WM years ago for this reason.

i boycotted them for about 4 or 5 years (for different reasons) but now that I live in a small college town.. wal-mart is inevitable

I still hate them, tho

Ah...good old WM. This is what any shop gets who hires employees for the fact that they will work for minimum wage, not for knowledge/experience, then gives those employees more to accomplish than they reasonably can in a shift, then has a system of tanks filled with poor-quality, inappropriate fish.

Unfortunately, this is not limited to Wal-Mart. All the large "chains" have this problem. I frequent several quite often and at most, they have @ 4 employees handling everything in the store. During their shift(s) there are breaks and "disappearing" acts which will reduce maintenance. Think about this: If customers are continually making purchases, asking questions or otherwise tying up this small staff, when will maintenance be done? This is the norm, not the exception. They do not dedicate any one employee to this function. Nuff said.

When I first saw the thumbnail pic, I thought it was abstract art. But to my horror it was not! How cruel!! :evil:

Back
Top Bottom