What if the lights go out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously, I won't invest a penny in a UPS or generator for freshwater tanks. I already got a 24h power outage in the winter at -25C° outside due to the neighbourg home burning in fire, both my 20g reef and my 29g planted tank water went to 13C°, no corals or fishs or inverts in both tanks died from that outage.

Here my neighborgs trololo;
876143IMG2014011500098.jpg

(Took for a cheap blackberry phone)

My planted tank is a community tropical fishs... My neons and cardinalis didn't got any whitespot... If your fishs are healty (free of diseases like ich), they can tolerate cold water for short time. Once the power come back, don't put hot water to the tank, wait for it to raise with the heater.

The only thing that's cost efficient for poweroutage, is a battery powered air pump for surface agitation for heavy bioload tanks. That's it.
Wow really? That's very reassuring. Thanks for the info!

You can get a pump with a battery backup. It plugs into an outlet like normal, but when it detects that there is no power it switches to the battery automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
That sounds like the best thing so far! Gotta go see where it's sold.

I lost power for a full week last year with no heat < house got down in the 50f but had no problems with my fish, there is plenty of oxygen in the water in the tank to keep the fish and bacteria ok and a hob has a lot of surface area to keep oxygen in the water
heat is the biggest problem but it will take a long time to drop in a larger tank
If the water gets cold I would watch for ich for a week or so after , fish natrurally have temperature changes
How did the hob work during the power outage?

Back
Top Bottom