What is best substrate for Bichirs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darktragedy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I need to change my substrate in my 55 gallon. Right now I have pool filter sand, but I am not happy with it. I only have 1-2" max on the bottom, I have taken so much of it out. It has been turning dark grey on the top for some time. I posted on another forum and no one had any advice about why it was doing that...so, I am now down to just changing it all out. I do changes every 5-7 days and stir up the sand when I do so it doesn't form pockets, but I don't know what else to do with it.

So, I have 4 Cuvier's bichirs, snakeskin gourami, 4 clown loaches, red-tailed shark, pleco, and a pictus in my tank and I was wondering what the best affordable substrate would be (would like to keep it under $50). I just am concerned about the Bichirs and the fact they lay on the bottom, don't want anything sharp. I was looking at Cichlid substrate, but don't know much about it. Any help would be appreciated as I've only had fish for about a year and am still learning.

Just a warning but I have seen some clown loaches get quite big, and depending on what type of pleco it could quickly outgrow your tank.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Well, the first thing I'd worry about is how severely overstocked your tank is. What kind of filtration are you running? You're also very bottom heavy, almost every fish you have is a bottom dweller.

I have pool filter sand in my understocked tank that is evenly spread between top, mid, and bottom dwellers and mine doesn't turn grey. I bet the fact that most of the food has to hit the bottom for your fish and then how overstocked the tank is has something to do with it. If it's only 1-2" you really don't have to worry about stirring it up, maybe rake your fingers through it once a month but other than that you'll be fine. Just vacuum the substrate by holding the siphon over it and collecting waste. My advice would be to rehome the clown loaches, pleco, two of the bichirs, and possibly the gourami or look at upgrading your tank to one with a much bigger footprint. You'd probably need at least a 6'x24" footprint such as a 180 gallon for all those bottom dwellers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, the first thing I'd worry about is how severely overstocked your tank is. What kind of filtration are you running? You're also very bottom heavy, almost every fish you have is a bottom dweller.

I have pool filter sand in my understocked tank that is evenly spread between top, mid, and bottom dwellers and mine doesn't turn grey. I bet the fact that most of the food has to hit the bottom for your fish and then how overstocked the tank is has something to do with it. If it's only 1-2" you really don't have to worry about stirring it up, maybe rake your fingers through it once a month but other than that you'll be fine. Just vacuum the substrate by holding the siphon over it and collecting waste. My advice would be to rehome the clown loaches, pleco, two of the bichirs, and possibly the gourami or look at upgrading your tank to one with a much bigger footprint. You'd probably need at least a 6'x24" footprint such as a 180 gallon for all those bottom dwellers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 agreed.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Back
Top Bottom