what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Planted tank with shrimps, betta, kuhlis, and snails.
Pic is hard to see, but its a small white tube, with super small "fingers" that are coming off. Upon poking, the fingers contracted..what the heck is this??

Here's the pic. Like I said, iduno what it is..but there on my willow moss, and d. Hairgrass..should I be worried??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110808_222538.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110808_222538.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 134
Yep- hydra. I have had a couple in the last few months. I think I picked mine up when I got some goodies at the lfs. They are fascinating, but can kill and even consume baby fish.

I think they can kill anything that they can get ahold of, so shrimplets would be subject as well. I have had them in my fry tanks in the past, they seem to pop up when doing lots of BBS feeding. A sprinkle of fenbendazole wiped them out in less than 24 hours, never affected my shrimp/snails/fry in the tank, although I've read that it can hurt apple snails.

I might have to get that stuff then. They seem cool, but there already enough a problem I've noticed them, and there mostly on java fern, willow, ande grass, which is where my shrimp babies would hide anyways... where can I get. That stuff?

Ah worm killer for dogs...got it :)
So my girlfriend still has planaria in her tank..this would proly kill them as well I guess..

Yeah I've used it to treat both hydra and planaria.

I've not had hydra in my main shrimp tank but I did have planaria once, since there are no carnivorous fish in there they just went wild.

I added a sprinkle of fenbendazole, wait 24 hours, 50% wc, wait 24hrs, another 50% wc.

My betta won't touch em, the kuhlis don't notice em... they look cool though, I feel like on of themk touched me last night during a pwc, and my hand is kinda red...coulda just been a bug bite though...

it's very unlikely, probably impossible for a hydra to sting a human. their stinging cells wouldn't be able to penetrate our skin. do be careful when removing it though, since pieces of a hydra can grow into a whole other hydra. removing it in one piece would be the safest bet

My tests are all zero, what could they be living on? Also some look greenish..are these photosynthetic? Maybe a blackout would help

I read somthing like this elsewhere at work today..if so, that's almost a really cool organism, aside from it being a potential threat to baby fish..

So after some reading, I've decided 0.1 gram(have an accuate scale) of fenbendazol (prolly spelled it wrong haha) and am going to powder it and squirt directly with a syringe. Since I'm movin in 72 hours, ill need a few days before this can be done, but ill start a threat when I get around to it. It seems good with all shrimp, including the smaller species.. I wana read up and make sure the vampire shrimp is ok with it, although I never find anything on them.. the closest was that crayfish were cool with it

Back
Top Bottom