What is THIS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok fellow tankers......WHAT is THIS?? It looks like red algae! And why is this starting and how do I get rid of it??

Attachments

• 20150806_213626.jpg
    20150806_213626.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 85
Well it has spread to a lot of my driftwood I found out....should I boil it all to kill it? And what is causing it?

Im no expert, but algae feeds off of light, at least most types do. So turning down the light will help.

Also, add i bit of Hydrogen Peroxide to the tank. Im not sure on what doses though... I just stick to scrubbing or pulling all the algae i ever get. It comes back, but oh well... It gives me just another reason to stay on top of maintenance!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Any other replies to this. Im getting decent info, but lacking in how to actually get RID of this crap. Could I boil the driftwood in water and vinegar to get rid of this red junk?

I would assume that works, most things will die if you boil em. I would give it a shot, but I would try peroxide first off

Try the peroxide first, or just take the piece of wood out and scrub it with a hard bristle toothbrush

Sent via echolocation

I used Excel, which is a carbon source but contains an algaecide. Turn off filters air stones etc. let the water flow settle and using a pipette or syringe slowly aim the Excel directly onto the algae. After about 5 minutes switch on pumps and filters etc. The area of black algae successfully treated goes red after 24 hrs and then dissolves away. Not sure what colour red algae will go. Once the algae is gone I treat the tank daily with Excel, no algae since then (nearly 2 years) and the plants are loving the carbon source.
I know hydrogen peroxide works in the same way but I'm more at ease using a branded product even if it cost a bit more.
Just for your info, I keep tetras, Corys, shrimps and MTS and nothing seems to have been affected by the use of excel.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I get this weird, semi-transparent, white stuff that grows on driftwood. I just take it all out and run it under the hottest water my sink can produce. Kills it off pretty good!! You could try that as well...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I get this weird, semi-transparent, white stuff that grows on driftwood. I just take it all out and run it under the hottest water my sink can produce. Kills it off pretty good!! You could try that as well...

Yours is just from the wood.. Goes away over time.

Caleb

Yours is just from the wood.. Goes away over time.

Caleb

Yeah, but i don't like looking at it. So i kill it.

Not with fire, but with water that is hot as fire ?

I assume most algaes and such can be killed like this.

Ok then....so WHAT now is causing this....it is a live planted tank and it only gets about 6 to 7 hours a day of light? Could this just happen over time?

Back
Top Bottom