What is this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justkeeepswiming

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got this fish in a trade and have no idea what he is. I think some kind of catfish but not sure.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110501_210811.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110501_210811.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 99
That looks like maybe a convict cichlid... But it's definitely a cichlid of some sort.

It's Hard to see in the picture. I'll take a better one asap. I don't think it is a convict, I have a few if those and it didn't look the same but they are juveniles still. I at first thought it was a catfish but there is no whiskers.

I don't agree with the Firemouth - even at that size it should have *some* color. Also, the marking around the eye is wrong.. Does yours have any red at all under the gills, and along the belly back to the tail?

Here's mine.. (male)

Attachments

• guidofluffymeeki.jpg
    guidofluffymeeki.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 97
I would say it's a bolivian ram, probably a female. Compare it to mine in my avatar and album.

I'm pretty sure Stephanie got it, it does look very much like a Bolivian Ram, (Microgeophagus altispinosa) it just looks washed out, very little colour. 99% sure. maybe a little more feedback from the more experienced.

Pete

I was told that the fish was at least several years old, so washed out coloring could be a possibility. I'll do a little more research. Thanks everybody.

In the first photo that is a big pleco and in the second you can see Gary the snail

Back
Top Bottom