Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What is this hopefully safe worm?

It's all on the glass right above the water line.

Would throwing everything away and rinsing the plant get rid of it or would they repopulate? Should I throw away the plant also? I'm guessing the plant is Amazon Sword? I'm new to plants so I don't have enough knowledge and experience to ID. I didn't think to ask what it is when I bought the used tank. I dump the water that came with it, refilled it and added some snail before noticing these worms so maybe there was a lot more at first. There's about 7-10 in there.

Picture of it swimming is after I shake the tank; it's trying to swim back out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170914_184212.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	303963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170914_184241.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	303964  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170914_184305.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	303965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170923_125804.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	303966  

Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What's in the tank besides snails? How long has it been established? Usually these microorganisms are the result of too much available food in the tank. If they've got plenty to eat, they keep populating.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredJedi View Post
What's in the tank besides snails? How long has it been established? Usually these microorganisms are the result of too much available food in the tank. If they've got plenty to eat, they keep populating.
I bought it a week ago and I'm using it to breed snails. I haven't fed the snail because I was hoping the worms would die before I clean the tank but it's not so I'm wondering if just rinsing everything with water is sufficient enough or are they like snails, hard to get rid of. I don't want them to come back, safe or not because they make me queasy.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Look into how to remove planaria..
IMO if the product kills them it will kill similiar worms also..
Killing Planaria and Hydra .:. Information on killing Planaria & Hydra with Fenbendazole
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello 55...

How clean are you keeping the tank water. This is a "Water keeping" hobby. If you keep the water clear of dissolved fish and plant waste material, you won't need to worry about tank problems. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material and keep the water clean by removing and replacing most of it every week. Healthy water conditions make for healthy fish. They'll typically make lunch of any small worms.

B
Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello 55...

How clean are you keeping the tank water. This is a "Water keeping" hobby. If you keep the water clear of dissolved fish and plant waste material, you won't need to worry about tank problems. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material and keep the water clean by removing and replacing most of it every week. Healthy water conditions make for healthy fish. They'll typically make lunch of any small worms.

B
It was already there in the tank when I put tap water into it. It's just 1 gallon tank.

Would throwing the plant away and keeping the tank dry for a couple days insure these worms are dead? I realized I don't want to buy products to kill them since it only cost me $10 for the tank so it's not worth it to spend more money to save a plant that I can't ID. But I'd rather keep it if there's a way to disinfect the tank with what I have. Stuff I think are safe in tanks that I have on hand are vinegar, apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and baking powder. Would cleaning it with all four be good enough? If not I'm going to throw this tank away than have the worms migrate to my other tanks.

Tags
safe, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com