What is this hopefully safe worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55tanker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's all on the glass right above the water line.

Would throwing everything away and rinsing the plant get rid of it or would they repopulate? Should I throw away the plant also? I'm guessing the plant is Amazon Sword? I'm new to plants so I don't have enough knowledge and experience to ID. I didn't think to ask what it is when I bought the used tank. I dump the water that came with it, refilled it and added some snail before noticing these worms so maybe there was a lot more at first. There's about 7-10 in there.

Picture of it swimming is after I shake the tank; it's trying to swim back out.

Attachments

• IMG_20170914_184212.jpg
    IMG_20170914_184212.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20170914_184241.jpg
    IMG_20170914_184241.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20170914_184305.jpg
    IMG_20170914_184305.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20170923_125804.jpg
    IMG_20170923_125804.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 78
What's in the tank besides snails? How long has it been established? Usually these microorganisms are the result of too much available food in the tank. If they've got plenty to eat, they keep populating.

What's in the tank besides snails? How long has it been established? Usually these microorganisms are the result of too much available food in the tank. If they've got plenty to eat, they keep populating.

I bought it a week ago and I'm using it to breed snails. I haven't fed the snail because I was hoping the worms would die before I clean the tank but it's not so I'm wondering if just rinsing everything with water is sufficient enough or are they like snails, hard to get rid of. I don't want them to come back, safe or not because they make me queasy.

Hello 55...

How clean are you keeping the tank water. This is a "Water keeping" hobby. If you keep the water clear of dissolved fish and plant waste material, you won't need to worry about tank problems. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material and keep the water clean by removing and replacing most of it every week. Healthy water conditions make for healthy fish. They'll typically make lunch of any small worms.

B

Hello 55...

How clean are you keeping the tank water. This is a "Water keeping" hobby. If you keep the water clear of dissolved fish and plant waste material, you won't need to worry about tank problems. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material and keep the water clean by removing and replacing most of it every week. Healthy water conditions make for healthy fish. They'll typically make lunch of any small worms.

B

It was already there in the tank when I put tap water into it. It's just 1 gallon tank.

Would throwing the plant away and keeping the tank dry for a couple days insure these worms are dead? I realized I don't want to buy products to kill them since it only cost me $10 for the tank so it's not worth it to spend more money to save a plant that I can't ID. But I'd rather keep it if there's a way to disinfect the tank with what I have. Stuff I think are safe in tanks that I have on hand are vinegar, apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and baking powder. Would cleaning it with all four be good enough? If not I'm going to throw this tank away than have the worms migrate to my other tanks.

Back
Top Bottom