what is this milky oily stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
It does not show up in the picture. But it is like watery milk floating on top of my tank. It is slippery if I get it on my fingers. Gerrrrr.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110503_212317.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_212317.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 143
It's bio-film. Do you dose ferts? I read that it is excess nutrients but I'm not sure if it's true. I have the same in my tank. I just bought a powerhead to circulate the surface but not disturbing it. Did that make sense? Lol. Because just like you I am running a CO2 system. I just accepted that I'll have the bio-film in my tank so it won't bother me as much when I first noticed it.

Here are some 'better' pictures

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110503_213411.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_213411.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20110503_213440.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_213440.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 109
I have not used ferts for about a week. Is it good/ bad

It sounds like I need more serface movement? All I have is my fluval 305 and it barely moves the surface of the water. This appered after I removed my UGF (the bubbles from it mgjt have moved the serface just enough to stop it from forming)
Ok question time if I add an airstone to the tank (to move the serface water) then will I loose a lot of CO2?

Yes you will. That's the reason I just bought a powerhead to add water flow. Just set the outtake to move the surface but not break it. I bought a cheap one at petsmart. $23. There's a less powerful(?) one for $19. That will do the job as well. I even think that I should have bought the $19 instead.

Attachments

• image-2092306288.jpg
    image-2092306288.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 94
  • image-368630102.jpg
    image-368630102.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 94
Did the power head fix the Bio film? And would a power head and the fluval 305 be too much water movement in a 40 gallon tank? (I don't want my fish to get sucked into a. whirlwind...lol)

I just bought it yesterday. It looks better though now that the surface is moving. It doesn't look stagnant. The link that I posted^^^ said that the water movement will dissipate the bio-film. I bet it will take some time.

As for the flow, I think you'll be fine. I have a fluval FX5 that is rated for up to 400g in a 125g plus the powerhead :)

My goodness my parents are going to kill me when I tell them I need something else! In the past month I got a new light, filter, CO2, and, pps pro! They think that this hobby has gotten way out of hand (everyday my dad.tells me "don't go too crazy" and I tell him " to late"

I guess it's time to mow the lawn to make them want to buy you the powerhead :) or tell them that this hobby keeps you away from drugs :D

Lol! I luckily have a job (they make me pay for everything) to bad it is still snowing here's in Utah. I am tired of shoveling global warming! Lol

If you're going to buy it with your own money then you should be fine, right? Just don't tell them. Lol!

I was talking to my mom and she said "your fish tank is your high" (it is sad but true) thanks for all your help! And the laughs!

Lol. Same with me. My tank is my high :D

You're welcome :)

you could probably skim it off the water surface with a fine net,
that should clear it for a while anyways.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom