What kind of algae is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
algae.jpg

What kind of algae is this? It's clumping on decorations, plants and the gravel in a couple of places.

It looks like black beard algae to me. I have heard that amano shrimp MAY eat it, but don't quote me on that. you will probably just have to scrape it off.

Looks like what I have ..... been trying to get rid of it for months .....

This may be black beard algae, or maybe some form of diatoms or blue green algae .... a close up might help, but true ID needs a microscope (& a biologist :mrgreen: !)

BBA is tough to get rid of, nothing will eat it (although some will as a last resort). I did lots of looking on the net (& the plant forum here) & eventually settled on correcting a presumed nutrient imbalance by adding KNO3 to the tank. This is supposed to work only in high light planted tank with CO2 (the K & NO3 gives the plants a boost so they can outcompete the algae).

I've had some success with this in my low light, no CO2 planted tank. I kept the NO3 level around 10 by adding 1/2 teaspoon of KNO3 a week. The BBA isn't all gone, but is not coming back after I physically removed it.

Last week, however, possibly because my hornwort had grown so much & taking in more nitrates than before, the NO3 level fell to trace .... and the BBA was back within a couple days ... so I am back to increasing the KNO3 dose & cleaning everything ... AGAIN ........ :(

Back
Top Bottom