What part of your tank maintanance routine do you hate most

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate cleaning the sludge (mostly decomposing pleco poop) out of the botttom of my cannister filter. Yuck!

The apartment in my building share a common water heater (boiler). Anytime anyone in any apartment turns on the faucet, or the bathtub etc the hot water pressure changes. I have gotten acustomed to it in the shower.

But I use a python to fill the aquarium and the water going into the tank rarely stays the same temperature for more than 30sec and the temp changes can be very large. It really pisses me off. I am trying to think of the best place to put a water storage tank but our place is small...

Boy, it feels good to rant.... Great idea!!!!!

Why need ask and why all gave the wrong answer? To pick up the dead fish from the tank is the most hated thing!

gu2high said:
Why need ask and why all gave the wrong answer? To pick up the dead fish from the tank is the most hated thing!

lol- cuase i havent had 1 dead fish! only fish who die from old age!

I am with Julie. Getting the algae and gunk off the back glass is probably the only part I do not enjoy.

dead fish suck. I clean my green algae with a dedicated 3M pot scrubber, cleans in a flash. I would test on acrylic first, but it doesnt seem to scratch my lid even with generous portions of elbow grease.

Removing dead fish is the worst thing to deal with, but I don't consider it maintenance. More of an unfortionate accident. So far I've been lucky in that we haven't had very many dead fish in the past two years.

Without a doubt the constant pruning of plants in my tank (and the required arm in the tank to replant in the substrate). I'm at ~4wpg and it really is annoying to have to trim every single week (or several times a week)...I get about 2 days where it looks great and then it starts to get overgrown!

I do about 15 gallons of PWC's per week with a 5 gallon bucket and actually like it for the workout.

And ever since getting the BN pleco I have ZERO GSA on the glass. Getting my ferts in line certainly helped, but the pleco was what makes the glass spotless...

For me filling the tanks after a waterchange or vac. This is the longest part of the process for me. On the larger tanks it can take 20-30mins with a python, I hate waiting around to fill the large tanks up.

Well, I store my water... I store them in large containers, age them, add chemicals, etc. Then, when I fill up my tank, I hook the powerhead in the container to a long tube, and bring that tube to my tank,.......

Jchillin said:
Without question, it is cleaning the canister filter and hoses. I can gravel vac all day without a problem.

Hehe, the XP's are a breeze, only takes me 5 minutes at most. I can change them all day long, lol. Once I roll out my python, I always dread rolling it back up because I am never able to roll it back the same way, and it wants to twist and kink on me, lol.

Back
Top Bottom