What part of your tank maintanance routine do you hate most

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helicopter

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am just curious what everyone finds most annoying to have to periodically do to maintain their aquariums. What aquarium designs/devices do you wish existed to make your life easier?

Gravel vacuuming is the worst thing, which actually is not bad at all for me. I wish they had little aquarium cleaners like pool cleaners that roved the bottom of the tank and sucked up poo without sucking out all the sand too.

I've wanted to put a drain in my tank to take out water faster than my python for water changes. I've also wanted to build an auto top off mechanism, but my tank isn't large enough to warrant either of these.

i dont care for doing the gravel vac, getting all the waste from underneath the gravel. eco-complete is tempting

Since I have 5 and 10 gallon tanks, I don't use a Python. But picking up buckets was tiring, and I had gallon jugs sitting out everywhere the night before a water change. I bought a bucket that was big enough to hold all the new water for all the tanks, and I fill it up the night before the water change. I add a heater and a little powerhead to the bucket. The next day, I add a little bit larger pump and pump the new water right on up to each tank. It really does cut the time and energy.

For the 10 gallon tank, I remove a gallon of water with the gravel vac so I can clean the gravel. Then I remove the rest (I do a 50% water change) with a small pump. I attached some vinyl tubing to a pump, put it in the tank, and pumped out the dirty water to another bucket. It's much faster than waiting for the gravel vac to fill the dirty water bucket two more times.

mine would be taking time to clean my canister filter, it gets raunchy! but by far the worst thing is cleaning the pleco tank filter! its a HOB model, and think about this, 2 plecos in a 10 gallon together, something is bound to get filthy lol I know the tank is to small but I'm working on gettin rid of them this time lol

Nothing.
The day that tank maintenance becomes a chore will be the day I get out of the hobby.

Admittedly, i'm not a big fan of having to remove all the rocks to catch holding females.

Exactly. Cleaning my canisters takes 10 minutes, tops. And that's scrubbing the yuck off the baskets and cleaning the sponge. I just use a canister that is easy to disassemble and put back together.

Cleaning the glass lids. I just hate it. I like a canopy that doesn't collect filth, or at least doesn't show it!

I like cleaning my canister filter. I love it so much that I enjoy spending time with it. Sad? Maybe....

plecoperson said:
Cleaning the glass lids. I just hate it. I like a canopy that doesn't collect filth, or at least doesn't show it!

I like cleaning my canister filter. I love it so much that I enjoy spending time with it. Sad? Maybe....

ROFL....maybe......

Another hater of cleaning green spot algae here. I also dislike pruning the plants.

I dont mind water changed at ALL! (kinda like it actually, like getting my hands in the tank to work)
the worst thing is deff. scrubbing spot algae! oh gosh I hate that! espessially since it takes so much elbow grease I knock out abotu 1/2 the tank water LOL (any better way's than scrubbing it off with a toothbrush?

Carrying 5 gallon buckets of water to do partials on 6 tanks. Pythons are great, but I'm too cheap to fork over the cash for one long enough to reach the basement tanks. Besides, I need the exercise... :lol:

Since I'm at school, I find it a pain to refill the tanks without people asking me what the water is for. Thankfully my room is next to the bathroom and everybody eventually gets used to me changing the tank. Nothing else really.

Back
Top Bottom