what salt ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt For Freshwater Fish. Epsomsalt will not work. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. But it is the sodium chloride that kills the ich. That and the raised temp.

Can you please explain the process to kill ick with heat and salt. I just noticed the "salt" on my loaches. :( Is this process safe for:
2 gold dojo loaches
3 tetres (white?)
8 zebra danios
5 neon tetras and
1 pleco
My tank is 55 gal

I am in the process of getting rid of the ich in my tank... spots are all gone waiting a few days to kill anything that still might be alive.

My tank is at 83 f i've read that you can turn it up anywhere from 82 to 86
As with the salt i would put in 1 or 2 tbs per 5-10 gal.... i have a ten gal and i have 3 tbs of salt in. I'm using Aquarium Pharm. salt. I've read tons of different articles and they say that you treat anywhere from 1-2 weeks or 5 days after all of the spots are gone.

As with the kind of fish you have i have no clue if you can or not.

I'm new to this whole aquarium business so hope this helps and answers your questions :lol: :lol:

I use aquarium salt for helping to treat some diseases and it almost always works.

I use un iodized table salt (40 lbs for $3.89). Kosher salt will also work. "Aquarium salt" is just uniodized NaCl, at a premium price.

Just thought i'd share, i recently successfully treated an ich outbreak with heat/salt, here's how you do it:

Slowly raise your temperature to about 86, this speeds up the lifecycle of Ich

Before you add salt, you can do a 50% water change to reduce the amount of ich in the water, this is optional

Add about 1 Tablespoon per 10 gallons of water. The next day, do the same, add 1 more Tablespoon per 10 gallons of water again. This comes to about 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water.

Keep the heat up until you don't see ich anymore on the fish. When the fish look clean, keep the temp up, and start doing water changes to reduce the salt. I actually did a 50% water change for two days and then went back to my regular schedule, the small amount of salt left won't hurt anything.

I would leave the temperature up for 1-2 weeks, just to make sure its killed off, and then you can slowly lower your temp, i have mine at about 84 right now.

Im sure your probably already treating, but i hope this helps.

krazymom said:
Can you please explain the process to kill ick with heat and salt. I just noticed the "salt" on my loaches. :( Is this process safe for:
2 gold dojo loaches
3 tetres (white?)
8 zebra danios
5 neon tetras and
1 pleco
My tank is 55 gal

pleco's and loaches have very thin scales...more like a skin than armor like most fish. because of this, ich treatment is more restrictive. most meds will do more harm than good.

I'd post this question in the 'sick fish' forum so you can get the attention you need. It's gonna be lost in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom