What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1998golfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I currently have a 27gal Marineland cube aquarium, and a 6.5gal mini bow.

First, I'd like to talk about the 27gal Marineland cube:
-Fluval C3 hob
-Sunsun HW-304A
-70% black gravel, 30% black sand (seachem sand)
-DW
-Bamboo
-6 serpae tetras
-3 khuli loaches
-2 nerite snails (new)
-2 bolivian rams
-1 Albino BN pleco
-3 Albino cory catfish
-1 Blue dwarf gourami

How can I replace it with sand? I want to replace it with this Black Diamond Medium Blasting Abrasives - Tractor Supply Co. would one 50lb bag be enough? How would I go about changing the substrate? Take all the fish out and then take the old out and add the new with low water level?

Also, I was thinking of making a 20gal long planted.. What all would I need? Not going to do pressurized CO2 or excel, DIY. I want to dose PPS pro and use oscomote plus and dynamite mixed root tabs for root feeders. What light would be good? What filer? Would shrimp be good for a tank like this? Or could I add a few of my tetras (at least 2 are always full of eggs at any given time) and let them breed? Could I use the black diamond blasting sand in here too?

I have a 6.5 gal mini-bow, which I recently added some fish food to for fertilizer, and added one of the pieces of bamboo from my 27gal to it, then put it in the windowsill to see if the bamboo would grow more. It's only been a few days so I don't know yet.

Any other advice?

Thank you so much!!
-1998golfer

I can't really help with most of your questions, but I can say that I bought a bag of the medium grit blasting sand to go with two bags of ecocomplete in my 45 gallon tank (I think it's 36"x12" on the bottom or somewhere around that) the sand probably would have covered the bottom probably 2" all the way across, I only used half the sand to go with the 40 lbs of eco, and have probably 3-4" of substrate in there now.

TL;DR, I think a 50lb bag of blasting sand should be more than enough for a 27 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom