What test kit(s) would you recommend as the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
This discussion got me thinking:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=11464&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have the ammonia, pH, and, Nitrite test kits by Doc Wellfish. They're the drop/glass bottle/color card type. I got them 5-6 years ago when I got back into aquariums and they're all I've ever used. I rarely do use them unless I'm noticing problems. I have never tested for nitrate, gH or kH (I didn't even know what those two were when I heard them mentioned on this board). I have had my water tested at the lfs as well.

I figure I'll replace these kits one day, so I'm just curious what some of you use and like.

I use the Doc Wellfish (Aka Aquarium Pharm) Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate tests.

I buy these individually, not in test 'kits'. The ammonia test is good for 130 tests or so, and the nitrate for 90. Can't remember nitrite, probably around 150.

tetra test

I have been using Tetratest. I just got a new Laborett. It has all the test I thought i needed. I found out that I would like to have a nitrate test though. It has ph for fresh and salt, KH, GH, nitrite, and ammonia. I would switch to another kind though. I don't see why I should be loyal to this one since the tests aren't as accurate as I would like. the PH goes in .5 increments. So please what else is out there.

Seachem, Salifert are some of the better tests (usually seen more in the SW hobby then FW). That being said, one doesn't often find them in lfs. I actually use the Aquarium Pharm tests for everything except iron (that one is seachem) and they work fine.

I have to admit, I don't know if 5-6 yr old tests would still be valid. Anyone have any idea?

I also use AP, Got the test kits from bigals for 12.99 each. The only thing they don't have in the kit is Nitrate, Bought it at the lfs, For the most part mine have been very accurate, when these are gone I'll get more of the same. :D

I use the red sea deluxe FW lab. I've found however, the tests don't cross between FW and SW like others. The tetratest ones seem very good, though I've only got the nitrate kit.

Wow. I see another big debate coming here!! I test ammonia and nitrites only on new tanks, or if I've added fish. The most important test kit to have (IMO), is nitrates. I test this weekly because it gives a pretty good clue as to the balance of the ecosystem. I will admit the numbers on the nitrate kits are perplexing as they are given in high and low ranges. But I'm satisified if the reading is below 20ppm on the high range.

I test KH quite often in my planted tank, as the the relationship with PH indicates CO2 level.

As I've stated my other posts, I find the whole liquid drop thing to be clumsy and open to interpretation. Maybe my color sight isn't as good as everyone elses.

The best deal I've found on an electronic PH tester: There's a guy on aquabid.com selling brand new Milwaukee PH600 testers for $29. That includes the shipping. I love it because it's simple to read and accurate within .1

HTH

The best deal I've found on an electronic PH tester: There's a guy on aquabid.com selling brand new Milwaukee PH600 testers for $29. That includes the shipping. I love it because it's simple to read and accurate within .1
This is what I want for Xmas, because I too am testing CO2 and getting out all of the vials and drops to test KH and pH is time consuming, especially now that I am tweaking my CO2 diffusion system (almost doubled my dissolved CO2 when I ran the bubbles through my canister filter instead of the ladder diffuser). That is a great price on aquabid! I am sending that link to dear ole hubby.

I do use AP test kits for nitrate, and if there is any problems happening I test for nitrite and ammonia, but these are best described as "field" testing to get a general idea, and are definitely not exact. However, since water changes and medication treatments are generally done in a "ballpark" manner it is good enough for me. I have a pretty good idea of how many gallons I change each time, but I know it is not precise, especially using a Python. I want to test for phosphate but nobody around here carries that, except one store I did get a Salifert phosphate test, but the dropper top on one of the bottles was missing, so had to take it back! :x It was the last test they had, so I am still in the dark on my phosphate levels.

BrianNY said:

Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with electronic test kits, but I did a search for that product and only found a couple links, both selling for $85. Sounds like you lucked out on that sale. I couldn't find any on Aquabid.com :(

Just a tip for those of you who are looking at electronic pH meters...make sure you are purchasing one that is calibrated for freshwater systems. These guys measure the conductivity of whatever you're sticking it in...which is obviously vastly different in fresh and saltwater systems.

I personally think it's overkill, but to each their own.

IMHO, relying to heavily on testing kits becomes a crutch of sorts...the design of the tests are such that they give you a "ballpark" figure, and can be useful for getting a positive ammonia reading, or reading change in a system. Losing sleep over 0.1 ppm is a pointless endeaveor. They will never be truly accurate in the scientific sense of the word, and that's just fine....after all we aren't scientists (Well some of us are lol)...we're fishkeepers.

If you get into aquabid, go to test kits. I just looked and he's still got them!!!

I also use AP "Freshwater Master Test Kit" from bigals. It is indeed missing Nitrate test. Why do they call it "Master" test is beyond me. The things that I do not like about it is the fact that color swatches are in such a big range, would be good to have them broken down more, but again, it might be impossible to differentiate one color from the other. As long as it is within a "ballpark" it's alright. As far as I understand, the Milwaukee tester is just a PH tester, so you still have to do other tests as needed.

Back
Top Bottom