What the heck is this stuff??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrConnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium set up, fully cycled and stable water conditions (via API master test kit) for several months. Currently there are 4 African Dwarf Frogs and a Mystery Snail residing there. Recently (in the past 3 weeks or so) I have noticed a black substance starting to appear on everything- sides of tank, decorations, gravel, everything. The residents of the tank are healthy and thriving- active, eating well, no problems with them at all. I change the water (30 - 50%) and test the water every week, and have been wiping down decorations & such with a clean cloth (dedicated to the tank & not washed with soap of any kind) each time.
Any ideas what this stuff might be? :confused:

can you describe the substance more? hairy? fuzzy? slimy?

can you describe the substance more? hairy? fuzzy? slimy?

It almost looks like a black powder that has settled there. It wipes off fairly easily. It is flat to the surface of whatever it's on, doesn't seem to have any shape or dimension, just collects on everything.

312635_118532224917882_100002833156768_86431_449181297_n.jpg

So under the bright light it appears more dark brown than black...
This shell is usually a pinkinsh and blonde color.

diatoms, perhaps?

What is that? (forgive my ignorance!)

Ok so I just looked up diatoms & it sure sounds like what I'm seeing. The color was actually a rusty orange/brown in the beginning. Just one question- what would be good tank mates for the ADFs and Mystery snail to do a little diatom munching? Would emerald green cories be a good choice?

I know Otos love diatoms but not sure they'd go with the frogs. It's difficult having ADFs in a community tank with fish since they are nearly blind, would probably need to be target fed, and could potentially be picked on by other lower-dwelling tank mates or try to eat smaller fish.

You might PM Siva; she has had ADFs for a long time and gives great advice. Maybe she could recommend a fish that would eat the diatoms and be compatible with the ADFs. Or you could move the ADFs to their own smaller species tank and then get some fish, including diatom eaters, for your 29 gal (also 29 gals may be a bit too high for the ADFs as they need to come up to the surface and aren't great swimmers, although if you've had them for a while they are probably OK).

I agree it looks like diatoms too. :D

I know Otos love diatoms but not sure they'd go with the frogs. It's difficult having ADFs in a community tank with fish since they are nearly blind, would probably need to be target fed, and could potentially be picked on by other lower-dwelling tank mates or try to eat smaller fish.

You might PM Siva; she has had ADFs for a long time and gives great advice. Maybe she could recommend a fish that would eat the diatoms and be compatible with the ADFs. Or you could move the ADFs to their own smaller species tank and then get some fish, including diatom eaters, for your 29 gal (also 29 gals may be a bit too high for the ADFs as they need to come up to the surface and aren't great swimmers, although if you've had them for a while they are probably OK).

I agree it looks like diatoms too. :D

I will contact Siva...she always gives great advice :) The ADF tank is actually a 29 long, so it's not horribly deep- they seem to do great getting to the surface with no problems.
The diatoms seemed to have decreased, so maybe they are on the way out. I added a Mystery snail a couple weks ago- not sure if he is helping the situation, but he's happily munching all day and night, so probably. Maybe I'll just get a couple more Mysteries or some Nerites.
Thanks once again :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom