What to feed my Plecostomus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

depdiver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Plecostomus has now cleaned every spec of visable alge from my tank, Now how do I keep him (or her?) well fed?

An algae tablet or two a night should do the trick. Also, once every couple of weeks or so, you can throw a piece of zuchiini or cucumber in there as a treat.

i usually only do with the algae wafer. the zuccini breaks down to fast and looks like slime after like a day. but they do like it though

Broccoli! It holds up much better than zuchinni, though mine do prefer zuchinni. I've never had a piece of that long enough for it to decompose, LOL

I use TetraMin Variety wafersit's a versatile mix for algae-eaters and bottom feeders.
They seem to love it.
I also use zuchinni.

Anybody else noticed that brocolli really makes the tanks smell horrible? The moment I put the stuff in the water, the whole room starts to smell of decomposing brocolli...

Also, I've noticed that many plecs won't take the brocolli at all... My Zonancistrus sp. won't touch the stuff, and (understandably) my Hypancistrus won't touch it either.

I do get better results with squash and zucchini, but the mess is terrible!

I feed mine catfish pellets. Had it for a year and its nearly doubled in size!

I feed mine catfish pellets. Had it for a year and its nearly doubled in size!

I feed my pleco Hikari Algae Wafers.

"The Japanese make the best everything- Chinese just mass produce it."

They're not fussy eaters, and will eat most kind of sinking pellets, like algae wafers, sinking wafers, sinking pellets, bloodworms, cucumber, etc...

You may also want to try Omega One veggie rounds. Your pleco will love them! You won't find a greener wafer. I also feed a variety of fresh veggies.

in response to timsxi's suggestion of catfish pellets, thats probably a bad idea- most catfish pellets have too high of a protein content and are designed more for meat based diets. the plecos, who prefer and should have a plant based diet would do better with the algae wafers.

i do 1/2 a wardley's algae wafer every other nite. any more than that and he wont eat it all and its a big mess. ive never tried it with plecos, but perhaps using romaine lettuce (or some other leafy green) would be a better idea? less soggy than zucchini and less smelly than brocolli? my snails seem to enjoy some lettuce every once in a while.

any thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom