What would happen if....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, if I put an under gravel filter designed for a 29 completely submerged in a 125 would it function? Please do not question my motives. I have a 55 & 10 indoors and a 1500 gallon pond outdoors. I am aware of how "under filtered" this would be.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I mean, yes, it would function, kinda? Depends on your definition of function. It would draw water through the gravel, but it would be localized to about the area of a 29 gallon, so it wouldn't be very effective or efficient.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Now to clarify: there are koi and catfish in a 125 with no filter at my university. I'm going to purchase an under gravel filter, install it and do a water change next week. There were 3 koi but one died and I'm just tired of seeing the fish clamp fins on the bottom.

Edit: there's an air pump and an extremely clogged air stone already in the tank, plus the gravel filter is cheap- hence the choice.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Now to clarify: there are koi and catfish in a 125 with no filter at my university. I'm going to purchase an under gravel filter, install it and do a water change next week. There were 3 koi but one died and I'm just tired of seeing the fish clamp fins on the bottom.

Edit: there's an air pump and an extremely clogged air stone already in the tank, plus the gravel filter is cheap- hence the choice.

Sounds like you're doing a good deed! It won't help a lot, but it's the first step of many to making it a lot better! (y)

They don't get fed often. They had a 15 inch large mouth bass on there before with no filter. Someone complained because they fed him live bluegills.

Semi related question: will an under gravel filter work with a sand substrate?

I have never used an under gravel filter with sand. I've always assumed that the flow through the sand would be too little and that the sand would clog the slots or holes in the filter plate.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

man, why does your school have such a big tank and not even a little bit of filtration? That's crazy. But I agree with the above the sand would probably just clog it up right away and render the whole thing essentially useless. Maybe you could use a large sponge filter? Those are pretty inexpensive too and wouldn't get clogged with sand. Again it probably wouldn't help a whole lot but it's better than nothing at all...

You would be better off with a different kind of filter than the undergravel. Here's why: UGs are made to draw water and detritus through the substrate and a plate and keep it there for biological breakdown. This is fine when you have low detritus producing animals but Koi are not one of those animals. :nono: Sand, is an undergravel's enemy unless it can't get clogged up or bogged down. Anything that hinders the flow of water through the plate is counter productive for a UG. Then there is the reality of needing to clean out the leftover detritus from underneath the plate which, in the case of using it with Koi, would need to be done frequently or else you are seeding a nitrate problem you probably haven't encountered in a tank before. So in your case, not only do you want to use an undersized filter in a much larger tank but you are contemplating using it for the wrong fish. :whistle:
If money is an issue, I strongly suggest you making the tank a sponge filter or filters capable of handling the water and fish volume. They are not that difficult to do. By doing multiple filters, since they are air driven, you will them be adding oxygenation to the tank at a higher level than the tank is currently getting so the fish may appreciate that more. :whistle: Also, cleaning a sponge filter is a much easier thing to do than siphoning from under an undergravel plate. If it's in the budget, making the lift tube to your sponge filter capable of handling a powerhead and adding one will greatly increase the amount of filtration from your filter. All around a better option than a UG. :)

Hope this helps (y)

Where can I order the materials for a sponge filter?

Do It Yourself Sponge Filters .:. Save Money on Multiple Sponge Filters

This is an article about making a sponge filter and mentions where to get some stuff to do it. It's focused on making them for shrimp tanks but that's sort of besides the point as it's still a sponge filter and tells you step by step what you'll need and what you'll need to do to make it.

Or get pond sponge/foam sheets from the hardware store and cut them down.

Built a sponge filter this weekend. Will be installing on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 1448815022192.jpg
    1448815022192.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 52
Built a sponge filter this weekend. Will be installing on Tuesday.

Well done! Laughed so hard I snorted :p That is fantastic! There's no hiding it, though, which is why it struck me as hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They won't let me install the filter. Haven't been able to find who is responsible for the tank and talk with them directly though

Back
Top Bottom