what would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HAHAHA!!!!!

Lovely Arlington Texas, home of the original Six Flags, the Texas Rangers, soon to be home of the Dallas Cowboys, and still they can't manage a public transportation system. The largest city in the USofA without a single bus, train, or tram to its name.

With love from a Dallasite (yes, we are VERY close relatives to all families in the parasitic community, but we are still a leg up on Arlingtonians). ;-D

i made the same mistake everybody did... my current 29gal was cycled with fish... so yes ive dont a fish cycle... but im going to do a 4ppm ammonia fishless cycle in the new tank so i can fully stock all at once and cut down on aggression problems... yes i do have a fully cycled quarantine tank and im very conscious of the fish i purchase and acclimate them correctly... ive been known to stare into a tank for close to an hour before i pick the fish i want... i respect your experience but dont insult me by saying i have none...

HAHAHA!!!!!

Lovely Arlington Texas, home of the original Six Flags, the Texas Rangers, soon to be home of the Dallas Cowboys, and still they can't manage a public transportation system. The largest city in the USofA without a single bus, train, or tram to its name.

With love from a Dallasite (yes, we are VERY close relatives to all families in the parasitic community, but we are still a leg up on Arlingtonians). ;-D

haha! That gives me an idea... think I should start up a chinese rickshaw business? Can you imagine dragging one of those around on the streets of Arlington when the temperatures are 106+? <VBG>

i made the same mistake everybody did... my current 29gal was cycled with fish... so yes ive dont a fish cycle... but im going to do a 4ppm ammonia fishless cycle in the new tank so i can fully stock all at once and cut down on aggression problems... yes i do have a fully cycled quarantine tank and im very conscious of the fish i purchase and acclimate them correctly... ive been known to stare into a tank for close to an hour before i pick the fish i want... i respect your experience but dont insult me by saying i have none...

I apologize if you thought I tried any insults... not at all. You are doing it the correct way by choosing the fish you want and making sure that no disease is passed on to your main tank.
The point I am trying to get across to anyone new to the scene is buyer beware. Even then, a disease can slip through but if a "q" is in effect you can catch it in time before it does widespread damage.

"Kimo in your experiance how long should QT be? I know the "books" say anywhere for 2 weeks to 2 months..."

I would say... for 90% of the external parasites... a little over 3 weeks.
It might take a fish 14-21 days to show symptoms of the common ones like ICH, velvet or flukes, so wait a little longer than that. The thing you want to try to avoid is spreading ICH... the fish might only have one or two parasites embedded and not noticable enough for it to start scratching all over. A healthy fish with slime coat intact won't catch it. It's after the ICH hatches, goes free-swimming (only time it can be treated) or goes into the substrate as a dormant cyst which is the worst form becuase it might take 3-5 yrs before there is an outbreak. Thats when you start scratching your head over how, why, when it did it get there. Same with some other diseases that can lay dormant for long periods of time. It can drive a person nuts!

Back
Top Bottom