What you guys think of my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nameless01

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello fellow fish keepers, just joined the forums and after so long of just reading threads I decided to join and start one myself of my tank. it's a 30 gallon community tank with a few java fern and a piece of driftwood and gravel as the substrate. The stocking is as follows:
1 Blue Gourami
1 Angelfish
1 Electric Blue Ram
1 Clown Pleco
1 Female Crown tail Betta(I know they're better off alone but I've had her for about a year and a half and she's been with me since my first 10 gallon tank and don't plan on getting rid of her, she's very friendly and doesn't bother any other fishes)
2 Australian Desert Gobies(very rare fish that I recently picked up from a local breeder, they are so amazing. My new favorite fish)
4 Zebra Danios
And maybe around 10 red cherry
shrimp.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387508596.994859.jpg

my gobies
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387508729.975314.jpg

my angel
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387508805.969361.jpg

my shy blue gourami
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387508855.925499.jpg

my beautiful ram
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387508904.395824.jpg

and I couldn't get a good pic of the pleco since he's I'm his little cave.
tell me what you guys think, try not to be too mean :b

I'd add a lot more plants or say goodbye to the shrimp. Especially with the gobies ( which I am super super jealous of btw ;) )

I'd add a lot more plants or say goodbye to the shrimp. Especially with the gobies ( which I am super super jealous of btw ;) )
I will be adding a good amount of more plants in the near future, thanks for the suggestion. any specific ones you recommend that would look best and Is easy to care for?like doesn't need spec. sub or root tabs etc.

Awesome find with those gobies!
that's what I said, I am really glad I found them :)

Scaping is good, I'll change the substrate to somthing that look more natural. But that's just my opinion.

Nice tank and great stock list. Never heard of those gobies before but very cool. Anyone else think its weird that a fish, an aquatic being, had the name desert gobie. I just found that funny.

Gobys are saltwater fishs. Maybe he's talking about guppies ??

According to english wiki: "The bumblebee gobies from the genus Brachygobius are perhaps the most widely traded freshwater species, being small, colorful, and easy to care for. They need tropical, hard and alkaline freshwater or slightly brackish conditions to do well."

Not sure if they'll thrivein poor hardness water...

What's your GH/KH/PH ?

I would skip the red cherry shrimp as angelfish love nothing better than to snack on shrimp.

Gobys are saltwater fishs. Maybe he's talking about guppies ?? According to english wiki: "The bumblebee gobies from the genus Brachygobius are perhaps the most widely traded freshwater species, being small, colorful, and easy to care for. They need tropical, hard and alkaline freshwater or slightly brackish conditions to do well." Not sure if they'll thrivein poor hardness water... What's your GH/KH/PH ?

There are freshwater gobies, such as the one the OP mentioned: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/...freshwater-and-brackish-tank-full-article.htm

For stocking, you can refer to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor , they good advice on stocking and give an idea of what livestock can be a meal for another livestock. They give recommandation about volumes, schools, PH, temps, hardness, filtration and waterchange for the stocking you provide to aqadvisor.

For cleaning crew, maybe you can go with bigger shrimps that angelfish won't eat. I already saw my neons eating a RCS when they were reallly hungy.

There are a few freshwater water gobies, they're just a pain to track down. I've been trying to get some for awhile, found one place that had them (online only) and before I could get the cash they had shut down their operation.

Gobys are saltwater fishs. Maybe he's talking about guppies ??

According to english wiki: "The bumblebee gobies from the genus Brachygobius are perhaps the most widely traded freshwater species, being small, colorful, and easy to care for. They need tropical, hard and alkaline freshwater or slightly brackish conditions to do well."

Not sure if they'll thrivein poor hardness water...

What's your GH/KH/PH ?

no. I mean gobies haha. these are a really great and amazing species. they are 100% freshwater, but also accept high salinity levels.

I get my gobies from the Wet Spot. They usually have a good variety to choose from.

I have never kept shrimp. What do they do for algae and clean up that corys, ottos, and loaches do? I'm doing a rescape this spring with some really nice (and not cheap) driftwood and know that my nerites will have to go. They turn DW into a white seed sesame bun with their eggs. Out of curiosity what shrimp are big enough to go with angels? Thanks guys. OS.

Amano shrimps are real harvesters, they clean up so much. I have problems with them, they stole the food i give to my corys

I have never kept shrimp. What do they do for algae and clean up that corys, ottos, and loaches do? I'm doing a rescape this spring with some really nice (and not cheap) driftwood and know that my nerites will have to go. They turn DW into a white seed sesame bun with their eggs. Out of curiosity what shrimp are big enough to go with angels? Thanks guys. OS.

Angelfish may leave shrimp alone when they are young but once the Angels get some size on them they will hunt and kill/eat shrimp. Some people have had luck with Amano shrimp and angels but it's risky.

Angelfish may leave shrimp alone when they are young but once the Angels get some size on them they will hunt and kill/eat shrimp. Some people have had luck with Amano shrimp and angels but it's risky.

Maybe ghost shrimps ? As they're bigger...

Back
Top Bottom