Whats a small active community fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJGourami

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to do a single species community tank. Its a 30 Gallon and i need ideas for small interesting community fish. I am thinking zebra danios right now.....

They are active. Add these to your list for consideration, Rummynose Tetras, and Cherry Barbs. They are a couple of my favorites.

do the rasporas really require a planted tank as I have read?

because they are very colorful and if you want color, but a species only tank that would give you both.
also, you would want male guppies because one. they generally have more colorful bodies/fins and second, you dont want to mix male and female unless you want a million babies.

Atl300zx said:
Males = big tails
not always. I have seen some pretty big females with some pretty big tails :wink:
the best way to sex them is by their gonopodium fin , its an extra fin right on their bellies.

do you think they are as interesting as zebra danios because I went my LFS and noticed that the zebras seemed to be the most playful. Can you imagine a 30 gallon tank with 30 of them in it....?

If you are looking for pure action, it's tough to beat the zebras. They are neurotic and hyper imo. In my tank they will pick one and all chase that one until somebody gets tired. I think they change who's "it" every few days.

I've had zebra danios in the past - they're very active and can be quite attractive under good lighting.

At the moment, I have a 29 gal filled with a dozen tiger barbs. They are very active and coloful, and they max out at about 2 inches. One caveat, they are nippy - in a group this large, though, it's not a problem.

If you want a species only tank, you can't go wrong with most of the small barbs, tetras, and rasboras. I've kept and like pristilla tetras, bloodfin tetras, and black neon tetras. These species thrive in a large group of 10 or more - safety in numbers seems to bring them out in the open more often.

I also like the idea of an all male guppy tank. Some of these little fish are showier than most bettas I've seen!
I'm wondering though, if the males ever show aggression towards each other????

QTOFFER, I had a 10 gall all guppy tank (although that is a lot less guppies than in a 30 gall) but I never had trouble with aggression from my male guppies. Nor have I heard of it.

I definitely second the cherry barbs! some of the most interesting and active fish out their! I had a trio in my 10gall planted and they were beautiful and SOOO fun to watch. I called them the "3 musketeers"

here is a pic of one of my cherry barbs
img_828368_0_be40d88bc485d380dee505a32f0a39bc.jpg

actually, every fish would like to have their tank planted. besides, it feels much better for us to watch...i kept a dozen of male guppies and one by one past out in a week because i didnt plant my tank...

if you want colour, then cardinals are the best ones, but if u want colour and activity, i'd suggest glowlight rasboras, and if u only want activity, then danios would be perfect. ..

some note anyways, cardinals are harder to keep, since they're easily stressed, wether it's the water parameters[esp temperatures and pH] or their food...

i'd really suggest u to pick the rasboras, very2 cute, and they swim in the mid surface strata, unlike most tetras[mid bottom swimmers] and guppies+danios[surface dwellers]. .. i dont actually like danios anyhow. ..quite boring colours. ..

Back
Top Bottom