Whats going on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slow-dagger

Aquarium Advice Activist
All my other fish seem calm but my Cory cats keep on going to a corner of the tank a sliding there face up and down the glass

image-3283999810.jpg

They do it when the light is on at night for 20 mins then I turn it off but they keep on doing for 3 mins then savage like they usually do

They like to do that, mine do it all the time. If you see them gulp air occasionally thats okay too, just make sure if they do it a lot then you might have a water quality issue. The gravel in your tank looks a little rough, have you considered sand? Gravel can wear away cory whiskers and make them unable to eat, and soon die from infection of the barbels. I just rescued a pepper cory no whiskers! Poor thing was on hard gravel, thought he might die, but once on super clean sand and super clean water he cleared up. My cories all have whiskers that are long and touch the sand.

Oceangirl said:
They like to do that, mine do it all the time. If you see them gulp air occasionally thats okay too, just make sure if they do it a lot then you might have a water quality issue. The gravel in your tank looks a little rough, have you considered sand? Gravel can wear away cory whiskers and make them unable to eat, and soon die from infection of the barbels. I just rescued a pepper cory no whiskers! Poor thing was on hard gravel, thought he might die, but once on super clean sand and super clean water he cleared up. My cories all have whiskers that are long and touch the sand.

Cool thanx for the advise I rely don't see my Cory's go up for air is that okay how do I install sand in the tank

Normal Cory fun. Just watch and enjoy. :) They do gulp air from time to time, you might miss it if not watching them a lot. If you want to switch to sand you can do it, it's a bit of work though but might be better for the Corys in the long-run. Most aquarium sand is fine enough for Corys (anything found at the local fish stores) or many use pool filter sand which is cheaper (some hardware stores might carry it). Rinse and rinse and rinse it though. To change the substrate you'll have to remove the fish and put them in a holding container. Drain the tank and take everything out. Then just take out the current gravel and replace it with the sand, re-add the decor and refill, let the tank run with filters and heater for an hour or so to let the tank come up to temperature and then re-add the fish. It'll probably cause the tank to be cloudy for a day or two but that's ok (which is why you should rinse it but even after a lot of rinsing it can cause cloudiness at first).

librarygirl said:
Normal Cory fun. Just watch and enjoy. :) They do gulp air from time to time, you might miss it if not watching them a lot. If you want to switch to sand you can do it, it's a bit of work though but might be better for the Corys in the long-run. Most aquarium sand is fine enough for Corys (anything found at the local fish stores) or many use pool filter sand which is cheaper (some hardware stores might carry it). Rinse and rinse and rinse it though. To change the substrate you'll have to remove the fish and put them in a holding container. Drain the tank and take everything out. Then just take out the current gravel and replace it with the sand, re-add the decor and refill, let the tank run with filters and heater for an hour or so to let the tank come up to temperature and then re-add the fish. It'll probably cause the tank to be cloudy for a day or two but that's ok (which is why you should rinse it but even after a lot of rinsing it can cause cloudiness at first).

Is this a good brand for anti loudness

image-3712880455.jpg

Sand is an easy switch, Take a tupperware and scoop out the gravel. Then clean the sand in a bucket per instructions on package of sand. and wash it, just run water through it a few times. Petco is a good brand. Then shut your filter of, and use a tupperware to scoop in on the bottom of the tank. let the sand settle for an hour, then plug the filter back in. The cory will go crazy with scurrying, and snuffling and being a great little guy. Does he have a partner? they work best, in pairs, trios if you are limited on space. If space or tank size isn't an issue, then a pack of six is really good. I have 7 right now, and they all hang out, chase each other, and play dogpile!

Oceangirl said:
Sand is an easy switch, Take a tupperware and scoop out the gravel. Then clean the sand in a bucket per instructions on package of sand. and wash it, just run water through it a few times. Petco is a good brand. Then shut your filter of, and use a tupperware to scoop in on the bottom of the tank. let the sand settle for an hour, then plug the filter back in. The cory will go crazy with scurrying, and snuffling and being a great little guy. Does he have a partner? they work best, in pairs, trios if you are limited on space. If space or tank size isn't an issue, then a pack of six is really good. I have 7 right now, and they all hang out, chase each other, and play dogpile!

Yea I have 2 Cory's and 3 shrimp and a snail to help

Back
Top Bottom