whats in your dream tank at 300 gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am coming up on a great deal for a 300 gallon tank. I know it will be planted. I know I will have at least one reed fish (rope fish) I know I will have groumies.

But the reality is I am overwhelmed with all the options to put in it...so I hit a wall and cant decide what else to do with it! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I would like to ask what you would use. Plants and fish. I will probably use playground sand again as I did in my 55. But I would love to hear what you would use as a substrate.

I use play sand myself. And are you looking for more of a community tank or oddballs or what? That can change what you want and can have.

lucky I wish I could get a tank that big!!! As far as stocking you could do some plecos and a large school of tetras would look awesome with some gouramis but I'm sure there are a bunch more opinions that I don't know about..

I think an Everglades theme would be cool. Bluegill, largemouth, catfish, and even a gar?

In have to agree, I think play sand would be the most economical way to go about substrate for sure, I only paid $4 for a 50lbs bag and that was enough to use about half to do a 55g tank with. Sticking wise I have no clue, I would be like you and get way to overwhelmed with the options! I think a very large school of a tetras or something would look awesome! On second thought, maybe a big school rainbows? I have ornate rainbows (5) and I love their colors! I think any rainbow would be gorgeous in a big school in a big tank!

Maybe you should look into some cool oddballs........freshwater rays,
Or do a large rainbow tank. That would be cool.

I'd find fish that need that big of a tank. Like clown loaches and Bala sharks. Those fish everyone wants but will never have a tank big enough for them.

I've always wanted a glass knifefish. At 150 gallon minimum 300 should be plenty.
Any knifefish would be a cool addition.
And some sort of large pleco.

Oh and a large school of Cory's would be very interesting in a tank that size, you could have a nice size shoal in there and they'd probably stick pretty close to each other, cute little guys

I would love to get some wolf fish and catfish:O Maybe even some arowana's and huge clown knife fish. I'd probably be overstocked though lol.

Your not kidding. The option are almost unlimited. I can't imagine the dimensions of a tank that size. If I were doing freshwater, I would really like to take advantage of that size for discus. I do agree with the clown loaches... They're really cool fish.

If it would work, I would have a bout 6 to 8 discus. Several unique angels, German blue rams, apistos, and definitely. The clown loaches. I would also go for a swarming school of nice-sized tetras or rasboras.

To me, I would be interested to see if the size of that tank would allow the angels and dwarf cichlids to breed without as much risk. Lightly stocking that tank is still a lot of fish.

Your not kidding. The option are almost unlimited. I can't imagine the dimensions of a tank that size. If I were doing freshwater, I would really like to take advantage of that size for discus. I do agree with the clown loaches... They're really cool fish.

If it would work, I would have a bout 6 to 8 discus. Several unique angels, German blue rams, apistos, and definitely. The clown loaches. I would also go for a swarming school of nice-sized tetras or rasboras.

To me, I would be interested to see if the size of that tank would allow the angels and dwarf cichlids to breed without as much risk. Lightly stocking that tank is still a lot of fish.
I guess the possibility's would be unlimited in a 1000gallon:brows:
It's all about the combination, not the size then:D
But yeah, I see you're into exotic fish;P I like big predators better:)

I use play sand myself. And are you looking for more of a community tank or oddballs or what? That can change what you want and can have.

I am not looking for an oddball tank. I just havent decided what to do with it. But I do like the Reed fish the Arowanna, and the prehistoric Dragon Goby. All of which are being considered. All I know is it will be a freshwater tank.

I think an Everglades theme would be cool. Bluegill, largemouth, catfish, and even a gar?
Love this idea but in truth I do want a few smaller fish around as well. So the gar would be dagerous. Even though they are one of my favorites!

A large school of something smaller was my first thought. But I fear it limits the community view. I like multiple colors, and shapes. So mutiple schools of different breeds of Tetra would be cool.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I have a few tools now if I feel overwhelmed with options again. As soon as this deal works out I will post pics. But please dont wait for it...the tank is coming with a short sale house if the purchase goes through. Wish us luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
A few hundred celestial pearl danios should do the trick. In all seriousness, part of me would want to do that, a tank of rainbow fish, a fancy goldfish tank, or cichlids.

Forgot... I also want a tank of silver dollars... a hundread silver dollars... that would be a sight... it'd be like looking at a hundred dollars...

I didn't even think about clown loaches! I would love to have them but of course don't have a big enough tank for them. I think you could also check out the different types of rams (which are perfect for community tanks but still have the color). I also have to agree with the shoals of cories, that would be awesome (I love my cories to pieces)!

Stingrays, Bichirs, Peacock Bass, Arowanas, Datnoids, Gars, Barracudas, Eels, or some catfish. I would do any mix along those lines.

Peacock bass one male two female with around four mixed larger species of plecos! This would be my road I'd take :) type into YouTube peacock bass feeding and you will be in ore! I'm not sure if 300gallons would even be big enough but you could give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom